CA Release Automation Review

Provides pre-built action packs for many platforms and appliances, and creates custom actions for legacy platforms.

What is most valuable?

This product provides pre-built action packs for many of the most popular platforms and appliances. The product allows users to create custom actions when action packs are not yet available. This allows us to leverage this studio across our entire organization.

How has it helped my organization?

We have seen significant improvements in efficiency through the use of CA Release Automation by allowing us to standardize our deployment processes and automate those processes. This has decreased time-to-market for several of our teams and allowed our personnel to spend more time working on higher value tasks.

What needs improvement?

The learning curve for this tool is somewhat steep. While setting up a basic deployment process is simple, improving those processes to include integration into monitoring tools or implementing complex deployment processes can be a challenege. Making the product more intuitive, specifically around process design, would be a great improvement.

I have used this product for two years. we have implemented automated deployment processes for several platforms and continue to look for more platforms to leverage this tool against.

None

There were no issues with stability.

We discovered that administrators can build application deployment processes in certain ways that will cause deployment agents to get hung if you attempt concurrent deployments to the same physical hosts. This has more to do with the learning curve on how to build the processes than the product itself.

Six out of ten.

I would rate technical support with a 6 out of 10. A great deal of the support comes from the user community. This is valuable, but sometimes they are not as well informed as an SME.

We used several different solutions to achieve similar results. One of the biggest advantages for us in choosing this solution was the ability to incorporate, build, deploy, and test functionality in a single pane of glass.

The initial setup of the tool itself was fairly straightforward. Setup of the individual application designs requires a comprehensive understanding of the application involved as well as getting everyone to agree on a standardized build and deployment process.

Licensing concerns play an important role in how you standardize your deployment process. Where possible, take advantage of clustering capabilities that allow you to deploy to a single host and push the deployments out to all the members of the cluster.

We had an environment where each development team had their own set of tools for building packages and all deployment was manual. The evaluation of this product included reviewing the capabilities of Jenkins and Visual Studio.

What other advice do I have?

When engaging technical services to assist in implementing this product, make sure you have thought out your requirements and documented them very specifically. Ask for reference calls with other customers to get their feedback on common pitfalls.

1 Comment
author avatarLea Goldberger
TOP 5Consultant

What made their customer experience less satisfactory for you?