CA Release Automation Review

Keeps the map of different environments in a single tool. Designs and manages DevOps activity from a graphical point of view.

What is most valuable?

The valuable features are:

• Ability to keep the map of different environments in a single tool.
  • Ability to design and manage DevOps activity from a graphical point of view.
  • Ability to manage large installations with more than 5,000 servers due to its 100% scalable architecture.

How has it helped my organization?

This has helped our organization with several kinds of projects:

• Projects with more than 5,000 servers and daily deployments.
  • Projects in which we have to manage the deployment in a cloud environment based on the monitoring. As the number of users grows, we must deploy a cloud environment and deploy the applications. If the number of users decreases, we have to uninstall the applications and release the cloud infrastructure.
  • Deployment of applications in a continuous integration environment, including deployment, QA, pre-production, and production environments.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see integration with other technologies, such as Docker.

We have used this solution for over five years.

There have been stability issues, but they will be solved with the collaboration of CA teams.

There have been no scalability issues. It is very important to do a correct design of the architecture ahead of time.

The technical support is good.

I used open source solutions like Puppet and Chef. These solutions require a high level of expertise and are difficult to maintain in large installations. For this kind of project, it is better to use commercial tools, such as CA products.

The installation was simple. But if you want to use the tool in large installations, there are some tricks you must know.

It is an expensive tool and the licensing model is difficult to sell.

We looked into open-source tools, XebiaLabs, and IBM.

What other advice do I have?

Begin with a little project and grow it progressively. If you need a number of projects, get help from professional services.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a CA Preferred Partner.