CA Runscope Review

Notifications enable us to proactively fix issues before the customer even notices them

What is our primary use case?

We use it to monitor the APIs. We always have them scheduled there.

How has it helped my organization?

As we have them scheduled, we use the notifications. We know the exact moment it is breaking something that might impact the customer system, that might result in a feature not working. We know "in advance" and we can fix it before the customer notices. It helps us to be more proactive.

We have it all monitored. Even when it's a problem on our side, the server is down, or there is a lack of memory, the first thing to break is the API, because the calls can't be processed. So we know exactly at that moment because we receive notifications, and we can take action. It doesn't only notify us of the type problem, but it also links it to our servers.

What is most valuable?

The schedule is definitely the most valuable. Also, being able to check the JSON attribute values is helpful. We always check the attributes. Finally, the notifications are helpful as well.

What needs improvement?

One thing that can be improved is the logging. Sometimes, when we have an error, we don't know how to find more information about the problem that has happened. Sometimes, it just returns something like "that gateway." More information would be a way to improve it.

Also, currently we can only schedule to the nearest five minutes, one hour, two hours, etc. If we could set up the exact time that we want it to run, that would be good because sometimes we have one service that crosses another service. It's rare that this happens, but sometimes it does happen because the service loads are loading at the same time. What our tests were doing is creation, addition, and deletion. Before we deleted, this one service crossed the results of another one. And then we deleted the thing and broke another service. It was just a coincidence of the same millisecond, so one thing that could solve this would be if we could schedule the exact time that we want, or to schedule the order of service execution. That would be a good improvement.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability. It's fine.

Tech support has been pretty good. We had a problem. We accidentally deleted a bucket. We were trying to create a script and deleted a bucket. I needed to ask support to use the backup to get things up. Maybe a good feature would be to show this backup inside the tool, so end-users can just do backups by themselves.

We did use Postman but not for scheduling; just to do a quick check, we ran it from there. I don't know too many tools in the market, so it's hard to make a comparison. I think Postman does notifications and schedules stuff, but I don't know the price, so I don't know if it would be similar or totally different.

The setup was very nice. It was fine.

I think it's a good price. Once I asked my boss to approve it, he approved it immediately.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Runscope an eight out of 10 because it's still missing flexible scheduling, the exact time or the ability to sort the services the way we want them to run.