CA Runscope Review

Enables us to string together a number of API tests for a test suite

What is our primary use case?

We use Runscope to test our API endpoints for our product, both on-demand and via a schedule.

How has it helped my organization?

Not only does Runscope allow us to keep our tests organized and available to everyone on our team, but it also alerts us when tests fail, via integration with Slack, so that we can address bugs that have been introduced.

What is most valuable?

• We love the fact that we can have our API tests run on a schedule as often as we need.
  • We also take advantage of being able to set up different environment settings so that we can use the same test in our production, integration, and QA environments, easily.
  • The ability to string together a number of API tests for a test suite is very important to us as well.

What needs improvement?

Navigation can be a little tricky when changing run environments and switching between test run results and editing the tests. It would be nice if you could switch the environment for all tests in a Bucket to run, rather than having to change each test environment.

I would also like to see easier integration and display of test results so that the data can be shared via a dashboard within our company. (Some integration is possible, provided you use one of the supported platforms).

We have rarely seen any issues and have never seen an outage with Runscope's servers. Just make sure the agent is run on the proper hardware.

We are not limited in the number of tests that we run, nor the frequency, provided that we stay within our contracted rate. It is easy to manage that information.

We have had good success with tech support, especially when we were getting started. They are knowledgable and will help you all the way through your process until you understand the solution to your problem.

We have used Postman quite a bit, but Runscope makes it easier to group tests together in a logical way. In addition, being able to run tests on a schedule and make them available to everyone on a team is great.

Easy setup, easy to make your first tests. There is a bit of a learning curve when you are trying to decide how to group tests and use variables, but nothing that their tech team isn't able to help you through.

Pricing is very reasonable and is easy to pay when you are supporting a team of engineers.

We did not evaluate other options, other than continuing to use Postman for our API testing.

What other advice do I have?

Tests can be brittle, so make sure you include checks to validate data and variables that you are using.