CA Service Desk Manager Review

It integrates well with other solutions on the CA platform as they're all designed to work together, though its biggest weakness is the user interface.

Valuable Features

The biggest strength of Service Catalog is that it's integrated with other solutions on the CA platform. They're all designed to work together.

It is, however, pretty generic. It's very similar to other service desk modules I've seen and used in the past such as ServiceNow, Remedy, and others like those.

Improvements to My Organization

We're essentially in business services. The role of the business architect that we play is the definition of our services to our customers, the internal capabilities to support those services, the service delivery processes, the design of those processes and automation, the structure of the organization, rules and responsibility, functions, and change management. Service Desk helps us with all of that.

Room for Improvement

Its biggest weakness is the user interface.

We don't experience a lot of down time. It's so stable.

Recently since we've been doing more automation, there are some scalability issues there, just in terms of volume, transactions, and speed. End users have gotten notices that say, "Script running, do you want to continue?"

The development and support teams handle that.

I wasn't involved in the implementation.

Other Advice

Determine what the impact would have on your organization and how it needs to operate. There's this fundamental change that comes with buying a platform like this. Don't assume that you can just put Service Catalog out there. If you really want to take advantage of the entire suite, there's a significant organizational impact on how you manage, your job descriptions, all of it. It's recognizing what it is up front before you make a purchase.