CA Service Desk Manager Review

The integration of remote access to tickets and the ease of customizations helps analysts and administrators to always provide the best service according to the needs of the business.

What is most valuable?

1. Ease of customization

2. Modules of integrated ITIL managers

3. Integrated remote access to tickets

How has it helped my organization?

The product update process has been improved, and I like that they have included advanced high availability. Also, the process of adding new customers using multi-tenant is relatively simple.

What needs improvement?

They need to improve the High Availability, and the native integration between CA Service Desk Manager, CA Process Automation, CA Service Catalog and CA Unified Self-Service.

We have been using it for nine years, and currently have two customers with older versions of SDM. The products have been installed on site without multi-tenant.

The implementation of solutions using secure protocol is always complicated. It is not simple to set up, as it requires changes to specific files. It could be simpler.

There were no issues with stability.

It's been able to scale for our needs.

High. Collaborates with gains in maturity.

It's excellent. All there agents are willing to help, even involving other teams in more complex cases.

It's simple, as we used the manufacturer's documentation (Green Book).

My advice is to define the scope of use and only then plan how best architecture. The secure protocol issues, high availability, and the use or not of a homologation environment generate operating and financial costs.

The ROI was satisfactory, but I would advise you to review the scope, as several solutions for simple things can have a high cost, for example, why use CA Infrastructure Management (Spectrum, eHealth, NetQoS) when Nagios could serve your customer demands well.

Plan a Homologation Environment and possible uses for other areas of the organization other than IT. These points are extremely important and can impact the management and maintenance of the product.

We also evaluated ServiceNow to reduce infrastructure costs, but some CA Service Desk Manager features do not exist in ServiceNow, even though it is a more expensive solution.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to get to know the product very well in relation to ITIL processes. A lot of customization only exists because we do not know the product at that level. The manufacturer's documentation "Content Pack for ITIL" is required reading even if the company is not a service provider.

I am enthusiastic about ITSM solutions. In addition to CA products, I know of LANDesk Service Desk, OTRS, Octopus, Zendesk, Microsoft System Center Service Manager, Axios Assyst and BMC Remedy. All of these solutions are excellent and have lots of documentation with the best implementation practices, both the system and the ITIL processes. I always recommend studying these documents before any customization.

3 Comments
T MaculReal UserTOP 5LEADERBOARD
08 August 16
Marcos L. DomingosReal UserTOP 5LEADERBOARD

CA Service Desk Manager enables you to achieve high levels of IT Service Management maturity. Ease of use coupled with the many features that make it easier for support teams to work are important points, as well as a development interface that enables customizations that avoids impact on migrations or upgrades. Highly recommend.

18 July 17