Clarity SM Review

The remote connection feature has a chat functionality. The knowledge base acts as a self-service support tool.

What is most valuable?

• The remote connection part (Support Automation): CA Service Desk has a Support Automation feature which primarily does remote connection. This is an important customer support tool used in connecting to a user’s/customer’s device or machine to help them resolve whatever problems they have. The remote connection also has a chat functionality that you can also use.
  • Robust knowledge search via its knowledge base: For knowledge search, CA Service Desk has a robust knowledge base tool where documentation, articles and notes around known incidents and problems are documented for users/administrators or analysts to use. They basically act as a self-service tool where users can go to, search for documents and resolve problems themselves instead of having to always call the IT people. This way the IT people have time to do other productive tasks.
  • The simplicity of the tool

How has it helped my organization?

All business processes have been built around the service. SLAs are measured promptly and tickets are owned/resolved faster, thereby improving user/customer satisfaction.

What needs improvement?

The Reporting part (Reports Tab) needs to be more robust and made less complex. CA Service Desk makes use of a BusinessObjects XI tool for reports, which is owned by SAP. This is actually a third-party tool and a bit complex in terms of reliability on the network, mostly. If these reports were in-built, without having to integrate or connect to any third-party tool, then this would be better.

I have been using the product for seven years.

I encountered stability issues in rare cases but stability was good.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Good

Support from CA Technical Support has been brilliant, as far as your SLA is renewed promptly.

It was the same CA solution. The customer started with CA Service Desk 11.2 and they have upgraded to 12.6, 12.9 and 14.1.

I am part of a team that does pre-sales, support, deployments/implementations of CA solutions.

Pricing and licensing is usually a problem. CA solutions are very expensive; hence, only big organizations can afford them.

The customer looked at ManageEngine, HPE Service Manager and others.

What other advice do I have?

CA Service Desk is built around the ITIL methodology and would help to improve all organizational processes starting from incidents/problems/request, knowledge management, CMDB, etc.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My firm, Signal Alliance, is a certified CA gold partner
More Clarity SM reviews from users
...who work at a Healthcare Company
...who compared it with JIRA Service Desk
1 Comment

author avatarApplications Analyst at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees

I concur on the Reports tab difficulty and instability. Although it is still a third party reporting mechanism, we have begun using SSRS as the reporting tool and integrating it with selection links on a user-defined tab within SDM