CA Service Desk Manager Review

Quick capture of ticket info lends itself to resolution and/or assignment to other groups.

What is most valuable?

The following modules are the most valuable:

• Incident
  • Request
  • Knowledge
  • Change Order

How has it helped my organization?

Quick capture of ticket info lends itself to easy resolution and/or assignment to other groups.

What needs improvement?

Reporting and integration to SCCM need improvement.

Service Desk Manager doesn’t integrate to SCCM out of the box. If you’re looking to use SCCM as your source of truth for servers or desktops and to populate a federated CMDB (using Service Desk manager), you’re looking at building a connector manually or buying another tool to do that. In our organization, we’re customizing code to do this in batch mode. Not ideal, but what we have to do. CA had recommended integrating with other tools of theirs that we have but the technology teams are centralized on SCCM. So that’s that one.

Reporting, we’ve had to buy Ivanti Xtraction to do all our dashboard and reporting. Boxi reports really fall short and we don’t use any reports out of the box. Be that as it may, we’re heavily metrics focused, so we’ve had to take that on separately to work with outside tools. Not ideal, but reality.

I have used this solution for thirteen years.

We have not had stability issues.

We have not had scalability issues.

Technical support is moderate.

Remedy was the previous solution at my current organization. It was not easy to support or migrate to new versions and was cost prohibitive.

Minimal training is required to get everyone up to speed and using the system.

Negotiate with the vendor.

We evaluated ServiceNow. It costs a fortune and required too much management.

What other advice do I have?

Develop a process first, then apply the tool and minimize customizations.