CA Service Virtualization Review

We used CA Service Virtualization to overcome performance, availability, and data constraints

Valuable Features:

CA Service Virtualization (Virtualize) has been used to a greater degree, and Test has been used to a certain extent. The clients I have worked for purchased CA Service Virtualization with the primary goal of virtualizing web service calls to a specific back-end functions that faced constraints (performance, availability, and/or data constraints). By using CA Service Virtualization (Virtualize), they were able to overcome the stated limitations.

Improvements to My Organization:

In the performance test of a middleware application, we were able to run a much higher load with CA Service Virtualization which some of the real endpoints cannot handle.

• By achieving this, you can better measure and get the performance throughputs of the System under test (SUT), as well as, narrow down the bottlenecks with a greater precision of the SUT.
  • In one of the environments, we needed a 24/7 application availability, which was not realized when the middleware application was pointed to the real backend. This was due to one or more of the real backend being down on a consistent basis. Pointing to CA Service Virtualization services, this goal was almost achieved.
  • Eliminating the test data constraints: When testing against various backend, sometimes you need to test with a specific test data (such as a valid Credit Card number) or your test data needs to go through a series of validations in order to get a good response from a subsequent web service request. Using CA Service Virtualization validate, this constraint is no longer an issue.

Use of Solution:

I have used this solution for a little more than 2 years now.

Deployment Issues:

We had issues in the support for virtualization of JDBC connectivity. Also, using Java Agent virtualization was a maintenance overhead in an earlier version of CA Service Virtualization. I am not certain if this has been improved in the current version.

Initial Setup:

It was very straightforward.

Implementation Team:

We initially used CA consultants to extend their product to handle some of the data protocols that could not be handled out of the box. The CA consultants did help in doing the initial setup. After they were done, we were able to spread the services and increase the scope of usage on our own.

Other Advice:

Without trying other products in the service virtualize space, I feel very comfortable working with this product. It does its job well, is not difficult to use and grasp, and the support is very good. I would definitely recommend this product!

1 visitor found this review helpful
1 Comment
HenryReal UserTOP REVIEWERTOP 5

Cool Kishore,

Would you please share more of your view on like/dislike in version 7?

Thanks in advance