CA Service Virtualization Review

We were looking for a way to have teams work simultaneous instead of needing to wait for each other.

What is most valuable?

Pathfinder, VS Easy

How has it helped my organization?

Ability to implement WSDL validations in the model using the built-in assertions.

The virtual services for Stress, Volume and Performance testing for applications which reduced the cost and also eliminated the dependencies of other applications and third party software.

What needs improvement?

Not all protocols are supported, but I've heard there will be a feature in version 8 with the help of which we can create models for those scenarios as well (surely a few limitations will exist).

Sometimes, different versions of tools differ in behavior and new versions don't completely provide backwards compatibility.

Example: lack of ability to deploy a service built in LISA 7 to LISA 6 VSE using LISA 7 workstation.

When creating services with database steps, if the DB goes down the services will end and once the DB is up the services will be still be in an ended state, and a manual start will be required.

Triggering multiple requests sometimes increases the response time even though loadbalancers are used.

Customer service is very good.

Good.

We were using LISA 6, THEN upgraded to LISA 7.5 as the new features were beneficial for meeting business requirements.

Initial setup for Workstation is straightforward although setting an agent and broker for pathfinder to use recording is bit complex.

We implemented through a vendor team.

We have eliminated the complete dependency for all the backend systems for SVP (Stress,Volume and Performance). Testing using Service Virtualization saved huge amounts. Using service virtualization we have implemented a shift left concept to enable different teams to work in parallel instead of waiting for other teams to start the work, this also reduced the overall budget for the program.

A few other options were considered from Parasoft, HP and IBM.