CA Service Virtualization Review

We like that it can record live transactions, create virtual services, and use the request and response to create new virtual services for the back-ends that we don't have access to.

Video Review:

Valuable Features

The ability for us to be able to record the live transactions, and create a virtual services out of that, as well as be able to actually use the request and response to create new virtual services for the back-ends that we don't have access to. We have a bunch of use cases there from that perspective.

Improvements to My Organization

With the radio's hardware costs allow the development team to what they call shift left, and start to develop their code against the other back-end services that we may not have available in time. These are pretty much the benefits there that we see.

Room for Improvement

I would like to see more integration support with Docker for release automation, a few things on service monitoring that's pretty much provided in the prior version of the product. I would like to see that a little bit more usable in the future.

It's really good. We use it to support performance testing as well. That can scale up to tens of thousands of users concurrently.

It's great. Basically, it's designed so that we have a load balancing virtual service environment, so we can scale it up as much as we need to.

That's pretty much the key thing I like about CA compared to other vendors I work with. Their support is great. We have an account manager that's really helpful. He helps us kind of navigate through a different escalation path as well after we open the ticket. We never felt like we were left hanging when we run into any issues with the product.

I think it's a little more technically involved to get it started, but once you get the hang of it you can pretty much do even internal knowledge transfer to any other team. We rely on CA-provided training to a really small group of our team, and then after that we first do our internal training and knowledge transfer to other teams to scale it up.

ROI

We quantify what kind of benefits that we have against the cost that we have to pay on the solution. It turns out to be a really good exercise there. It forces us to do the ROI on the technology product that we buy against the benefits that we reap from the product there.

Other Advice

I would rate it an 8/10. From a capabilities perspective it's there. Like I mentioned, the learning curve can be a little high. Usability in the prior version that we used, version 8.2, usability is not great. That's why I give it an eight. It requires a Thick Client, so we need to install that on the machine. It's not the most intuitive UI ever, so we'd like to see it improved a little bit from that perspective. I know that they're coming out with version 9, which is supposed to improve that quite a lot, so I'll be looking forward to that.

What we start off with is that we had what we called a enter of excellence that comprised of a few very technical individual to try out the platform, to install the software, and be the product expert within the organization. Then what we did is that we pretty much scaled the development of the virtual services to other teams and that have more of a knowledge of how the service is supposed to behave, so that the COE doesn't need to be in all of these type of sessions and what not. We actually used the start out small and then use that team to empower other teams to actually be able to develop their virtual services that way.