CA Service Virtualization Review

What is most valuable?

• Codeless testing: There are no test scripts to write and maintain in DevTest. It helps to easily design test scripts without any programming knowledge.
  • Complete test coverage for heterogeneous, distributed architectures: in a single test environment, DevTest invokes and verifies functionality at every layer of the application - from dynamic web UIs, to web services, ESB/JMS messaging layers, EJB servers, Java objects, databases, file systems, legacy objects and much more.
  • Service Virtualization: Virtualization reduces the dependency of third-party services/system and allows us shift-left testing.

How has it helped my organization?

Our application requires the integration of many services across many APIs both internal and external. Due to this increased complexity, it is important that the testing of complex systems also starts early as possible. Leaving the testing until the end of product delivery increases project risk and the cost of fixing any defects found during later development stage. Using the power of CA Service Virtualization, it is now possible to perform integration testing on every application build. For application components still under development, service virtualization allows integration testing to occur even earlier in the development cycle simulating the missing parts of the system. Service virtualization also allows driving of error scenarios from both internal and external systems that may be hard or even impossible to produce, even with the real systems.

What needs improvement?

They still need to improve the reporting functionality for better customization. Currently the report functionality does not allow us to go beyond 5000 records where the display show all the records also more filters needs to provide to generate/customize test reports.

I've been using DevTest 8.4 and Application Insight. 8.4 for the last five years.

There were no issues with the deployment.

There have been no issues with the stability.

There have been no issues scaling it.

The customer service is excellent.

The technical support is excellent.

For API test previously I used Selenium. To create/maintain a test script in Selenium Java coding is required. With DevTest, Java programming knowledge is not mandatory. We can do most of the things using in built DevTest assertions and filters without any scripting.

Setup/installation is straightforward. The product installation guide helps lot.

We did it in-house. We have our own product expert team for implementation.

What other advice do I have?

The CA community will help us with any difficulties with the implementation. You can find it https://communities.ca.com/places.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're partners.