CA Service Virtualization Review

It provides configuration settings to make connections to the DB and web services. UI testing could be improved.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is that it provides configuration settings to make connections to the DB and web services. Because it has pre-written code exposed through an UI, it makes it much easier to configure tests.

How has it helped my organization?

It's helped with our automation testing.

What needs improvement?

• UI testing could be improved.
  • Also, it should have predefined plug-ins to integrate with other automation tools to help in tool-chain enablement.

We've used it for four years.

There were no issues with deployment.

Although the initial products were highly unstable, there is still room for improvement in versions 7.5/8/10.

It's scalable in terms of running a performance test because it supports limited virtual users.

5/10 - The worst thing is the training provided by iTKO/CA as it's very costly and not comprehensive.

7/10

We previously used SoapUI and this is much easier to configure.

The initial setup was straightforward.

ROI typically comes over a longer duration (both Service Virtualization and Release Automation), although its significant in terms of overall project cost when taking into account hardware, testing delays, and third-party dependencies.

It’s very expensive and to really come out with an ROI, it takes years.

We compared it to our existing solution at the time, SoapUI.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a good product, but comes with a hefty cost. If there is a better licensing/cost negotiation, then it can work, otherwise it’s not a viable solution. Some of the in-house products can beat this with limited cost investment.