CA Service Virtualization Review

Integrated solution for continuous testing and development. In terms of stability, I have to restart it every day.

What is most valuable?

For service virtualization, you can have continuous testing and development without interruption to your test cycle. For dev test, I been able to customize to being able to test, automate batch testing, and integrate that with my API testing and UI testing. I have been able to use that as an integrator. I have had no issues with integration. We have been able to use custom code to integrate the pieces so we really haven't had too many problems with it.

How has it helped my organization?

It's giving us a base start to add some customer framework so that we all behave in the same manner. For example, we've integrated it with Jenkins. We started to use the invoke XML results to integrate with other services to show us results. We can do that in Jenkins or we can do that with some custom visibility tools that we're building.

What needs improvement?

See below.

In terms of stability, I have to restart it every day. We set it on job and we just restart it every day. Otherwise, it seems to go down.

My team uses technical support. We have had problems with the upgrades. This is because we are on a Linux server and not on Windows. Those upgrades don't tend to go smoothly. We usually just involve somebody from the tech team right away, and just have them go through the upgrade with us. They are very supportive. They're at least a part of the experience. Unfortunately, it hasn't stopped us from running into problems, but at least we have somebody there to deal with the problems for the upgrade. We had to slog through our last upgrade, and we lost our database. We lost our history, which was pretty annoying.

I was involved in the initial setup of the service virtualization. We stood up our own Linux server. The setup was pretty out of the box. It wasn’t difficult. Our developers, though, want it to be easier. They don't like to use it. they want it to be easy to set up.

I would like to see some kind of dashboard that shows all of the dev test scripts that we have out there so that that we don’t have to rewrite the same ones across the enterprise. We can look to see what's there and reuse some of the ones that are there. Right now, it's hard to figure out what we have.

I would like to have some way to enable developers to use it more. They tend to like to go to JMeter before they do a dev test. The developers don’t need the UI and all the overhead that goes along with that. They already understand how to virtualize. I think it's a great tool, but it seems a little thick and heavy and it's very expensive. I think we are able to find open source solutions that do similar things. What I have found that I like is that I can use it to do my out-of-the-box things, like my batch testing and integrate some of my other tests and inflow that I don't get from other tools.

What other advice do I have?

Give it a try.