CA Service Virtualization Review

It integrates with all of our solutions, which allows us to work globally across all of our teams.

What is most valuable?

It provides us a high level of integration with all of our solutions, to the extent that we can set up modules with Service Virtualization functionality at the same time. We will do more with it once we get more into it. So far, we have been using it mainly for services.

How has it helped my organization?

It's allows us to work more globally across all our teams. Since the tool integrates with our services, we can do more.

What needs improvement?

I spoke to them at a recent conference and I think they're going to be looking at doing some more JUnit integration to be able to convert JUnit into their solutions. We're still using an older version so, hopefully upgrading to a newer version will enhance some of the features that are already out there that we don't have.

Stability is getting better. When we first started with it, there were some bugs. We had some issues between our environment and the tool.

It seems to be that we'll be able to scale it, as we get more into this tool and other CA tools. It seems like we're able to build one top of the other.

We used technical support quite a bit for different issues that popped up when we first started using the tool or tried to use new features. We’ve received great service. We’ve been working with some senior engineers and they've been taking our input. Hopefully, we'll be able to start working with them a little bit more when they do their baselines for new features.

We were using SoapUI and we were looking for a higher level of integration.

Initial setup was both straightforward and complex. We had some configuration issues, such as conflicts with our firewall. They helped with what they were able to help with. For some of the issues, we needed our security desk and network teams to open up ports and other things like that.

We brought on some new senior management directors and looked at different tools. We evaluated a number of different API testing tools. I don't know them all. Choosing CA was a management decision. I think my new manager had used or seen the tool in the past.

What other advice do I have?

When looking for a vendor, functionality and the user experience are the most important criteria. It has to be easy to use or people aren't going to use it.

Be patient and understanding will come. It's new functionality and all tools work a little bit different.