CA Service Virtualization Review

We're able to simulate activity when third-party interfaces are not available to us.

Video Review:

What is most valuable?

CA Service Virtualization has helped us advance the development cycle when third-party interfaces are not available to us. We're able to simulate that activity. Working with the developers, we're able to get our testing site done in advance, so that when the integration starts, we're able to get further down the testing path with our third-party vendors.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to get further testing on a couple of interfaces. We do a lot of third-party request out for a loan; fraud verification; credit bureau. A lot of times, those data setup and data needs take a longer period of time than what maybe we have, so we're able to virtualize both the credit bureaus and some of our fraud facilities to get the testing done.

Also, facilitating in the training environments, where training environments are typically used part time, you don't want necessarily to have all the hardware and software laying around part-time. We're able to virtualize those interfaces.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see more of the newer technologies included in there, looking mainly from a mobile perspective, possibly, so you can virtualize some of the aspects that we're going to be doing for mobile testing.

As far as the stability, I've used CA Service Virtualization now for eight years, so it's been pretty stable.

It's able to scale. It's easy to scale CA Service Virtualization because of the way the services can be placed onto a platform. You could have a couple of services running on one server and if you have a high demand, you could put them on another server. You're able to have many services running across the organization. They don't have to be co-located.

I've not used technical support. The ladies and gentlemen who work for me are able to stand up the situation. We did do an engagement with CA and we brought them in probably for about three months in early 2016 to help with some of the more complex virtualizations.

We didn't have a previous solution. I've been with the company about 18 months and came in the early part of 2015. We're fortunate enough to get in with our General Motors ELA and I got the licenses for us to be able to start doing the CA SV setup for 2016.

I wouldn't say initial setup is straightforward. You have to have a little background, engineering knowledge, about how it operates. I know my team accomplished it working with CA in relatively short order.

What other advice do I have?

For the service virtualization, especially, a lot of times, we are asked to stand up environments and those will take time; you have to purchase hardware and software. I think if they start looking to CA SV as a solution, we can stand it up rapidly and usually solve the situation in a short order of time, saving both green dollars and hours of setup, for the particular hardware database, whatever you're trying to setup.

My rating reflects the flexibility that it gives, the easy deployment and the easy maintenance of it. It is probably one of the better tools on the market for virtualization. I've seen several.