CA Service Virtualization Review

It is easy to use, has a faster time to market, and provides flexibility

What is our primary use case?

It is throughout the STLC, so we actually have rights from the PoC or idealization from testing, development, and even production support where someone would like to use it for certification, or a sandbox perspective.

How has it helped my organization?

It is easy to use, has a faster time to market, and provides flexibility.

On our customer side, we have actually done a lot with this particular tool. It has helped a lot of teams to accelerate their testing and development, and saved a lot of money on the infrastructure side, setting up the sandbox side, etc.

What is most valuable?

• Flexibility
  • Ease of use
  • How much easier or faster we can actually make something happen.

What needs improvement?

1. The enterprise catalog. Usually what happens is once you have a set of virtual services, then you go to an enterprise. So, people would like to see what is already virtualized and how can they take advantage of it. Right now, it is actually not part of the product, therefore we created something, a custom solution, for it at this point of time. These are two separate things. Sometimes, we have to put some effort into it. If it could be part of the product itself, a service catalog where a user could actually come and see what is already virtualized, how they could actually utilize it, and the value it adds.
  2. The access control to the new portal. There is a new portal available and we are making it as a self-service thing. Whoever wants to create their own virtual service so they can actually go there and create the virtual service. The problem we have right now is how do we restrict access to each of those virtual services or the projects. So, that is not implemented in the product yet.
  3. Cloud readiness. I know it is available in AWS, but we would like to see how we can actually make it more cloud-friendly.

More than five years.

It is much better now with the newer version. We have had issues when they moved it to a newer platform of a base platform a couple of releases back. So, we had issues in the past, but I would say of the latest version, 10.1, that we are using, it is in a much better position. But there are still areas to improve and we are actually working with CA to give feedback, and they are continuously trying to improve the product.

It is scalable. We actually use it for both functional and performance purposes. In the functional area, it actually works pretty well. In the performance area, we do not know where the limit is at this point of time. So far, it has actually worked well and we are able to bring it to multiple environments. Therefore, I would say it is pretty scalable at this point of time.

They are very prompt and very easy to work with. I have been working on this product for the last six or seven years, so I know most of the support team. It is pretty easy to work with, explain things to them, and get the right support. Also, I am able to get additional details about new feature releases, so it is actually pretty good.

The initial setup was straightforward. We did have some problems with the one of the upgrades. CA actually releases a new version every year, so we try to catch up with it. We have had issues with the prior to last upgrade. This one was okay, the latest one.

We actually did PoCs with other tools, then came up with the pros and cons. This was the product that checked the most boxes.

What other advice do I have?

It does what it promises. I would definitely recommend to take a look at this solution, because of the ease of it.