CA Service Virtualization Review

Unit testing or early life testing does not have to be stopped or delayed

What is our primary use case?

We use it for service virtualization. It is performing well.

How has it helped my organization?

Unit testing or early life testing did not have to be stopped or delayed because those services were not available. So, they can continue testing using this capability, whether those services are available or not.

What is most valuable?

It performs as advertised. We had a number of back-end services that were not available during testing times. What this had allowed us to do is get our early life testing done while those services are not available.

What needs improvement?

We had to implement an external service catalog. We put it in ServiceNow. I would like to see an integrated service catalog.

More than five years.

What we have done is put redundant systems in, so it is stable. We are on-premise, so we are not using the cloud version of Service Virtualization.

It is as available as we can make it in our E2 environments.

It does scale up.

We had some on-premise support when we first implemented it, and they were excellent. We had some training for the product when we first implemented and that was excellent. We could not have been as successful, I don't believe without it either, because we had very complex environments early on in our DevOps journey. This was the first thing we were trying to automate back in 2011, so if we had it to do over again, we probably would not have done Service Virtualization first. However, with the implementation help and the training, we ultimately were successful.

We bought Service Virtualization because we are in a DevOps journey. If you are in need of services that are not available, you need to have a solution.

I was the product manager that rolled it out to our enterprise. It was very complex.

CA was learning the product at the same time we were learning the product. CA had just bought the product from ITKO LISA (or acquired ITKO LISA). At the time, it did not have enterprise characteristics, since then CA has been able to bring to a large company as far as management capability, security, and things of that nature. When we were implementing it, it did not have that, but it does now.

Upgrades are straightforward from a CA perspective. They are complex from our company perspective, and that is mostly self-inflicted.

We did do a bake-off. We looked at three tools and CA was the best. Therefore, CA/ITKO was the choice.

What other advice do I have?

You have to go check this tool out.

The innovation is amazing. CA has continued to add to services that it supports, the transports that it supports, and has built all of the enterprise capabilities into the product as well.

Most important criteria when a selecting a vendor: service and support. Pricing is right up there, too.