DX Spectrum Review

Our clients can monitor their infrastructure at a deeper level, more detailed and technical specific view, and at different levels (IT management, IT ops, etc.).

What is most valuable?

• Root cause analysis
  • Configurations management
  • Device compatibility features (buit-in, MIBs and device self-certification)

How has it helped my organization?

Not from my organization, but for our customers. They managed to monitor their infrastructure at a deeper level, more detailed and technical specific view (NOC-like and NOC-compliant features), and of course at different levels (IT management, IT operational etc.). Also, by integrating with other products like CA Unified Infrastructure Management or CA Service Desk Manager, you can achieve a greater value.

What needs improvement?

The graphical interface is still designed in an old fashioned way, and they should include some management views in a much more modern manner.

I have been implementing it for three years.

Spectrum is a very stable product. It is a mature product, with a long life time in CA’s portfolio, and even before.

Spectrum is a very scalable product. You can add more than one SpectroServers for balancing and availability.

It's very good, 10/10.

Very good, also for device self-certification, development. There is also a very strong community (actually multiple communities) – 10/10

I have used and implemented the old product, CA Infrastructure Management, which included Spectrum, but also I am implementing CA UIM.

The initial setup is straightforward, and after the initial setup you can start the device discovery. You can configure multiple discovery profiles and schedule them as you please. After discovery, you can see devices and servers in the universe and you can start to manage them.

The configuration is easy, but it depends on the device’s technology. The discovery is very easy to do and the topology view is customizable.

Although Spectrum is an easy to install and have it ready to use product, it is a very complex solution and it can be customized in so many ways. So, for large environments or NOCs I would definitely recommend specialized implement team like from CA’s partners or CA Services.

The other option from CA is CA Unified Infrastructure Management, but it lacks for configuration management feature. It is positioned differently on the market.

What other advice do I have?

I do not know any other product better for NOCs. When you start researching for this kind of solution, you should have prepared a list with all your devices you want to manage, and features you want from this solution. Usually the number and type of the devices is important.

Don't consider this product a service desk product. It is an infrastructure management product with some light features for incident management. Spectrum is great for what it does as a management tool. You can monitor your infrastructure, manage events and alarms as you please (aggregation, alarm suppressing, thresholds, rules, etc.), manage configurations for network devices (depends on the management capabilities of the device), monitor SLAs and other great stuff like these.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're a CA Partner.
More DX Spectrum reviews from users
...who work at a Healthcare Company
...who compared it with SolarWinds NPM
1 Comment

author avatarit_user306336 (Spectrum consultant at a tech company with 10,001+ employees)

Thanks for your inputs here while I completely agree with whatever you have mentioned in your review. Since you talked about UIM here as well, I would strongly say that when you integrate UIM (aka Nimsoft Monitor) with Spectrum it adds further more value towards what all it is capable of. ( Since UIM throws the information it collected to Spectrum when it's integrated)

Cheers!