CA Spectrum Review

It gives us a visual representation of what's going on in the network.

What is most valuable?

It's a mature product and has been around for a long time. The technical support is up to speed and it has been well designed.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us a visual representation of what's going on in the network. It hasn't helped me personally but it has helped the network. We haven't moved on to the latest version yet but integration with UIM will be one of it's benefits.

What needs improvement?

It is not so much in regards to the product itself. In my opinion, it's the documentation that I find is not up to the mark. Instead of reading 400 pages, if they could just give me one simple example, it would make things a lot easier because it's a very complex product that does a lot of complex things. I would like to have illustrations on how to do the simple things as opposed to sending me a link that refers to 400 pages of a manual; it doesn't help. Saying “select the criteria” is meaningless if I don’t have the basic knowledge of what the criteria means or why I’m selecting it.

It is very stable.

The product is very scalable as well.

We have used technical support. It's hit or miss. Sometimes you get people who are really good and sometimes you don't. However, you can usually escalate quite quickly.

Our company was partially using CiscoWorks before this product.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this product to others.

The most important criteria whilst selecting a vendor is reliability.