CA Spectrum Review

The Network Configuration Manager and Southbound Gateway features are valuable

What is most valuable?

• Network Configuration Manager
  • MPLS & VPN Manager
  • Southbound Gateway
  • Event Rules
  • Event Procedures

How has it helped my organization?

By using event rules and procedures, we got an improved event management process. CA Spectrum is very useful for event handling and brings us a robust “manager of managers” console.

What needs improvement?

SpectroSERVER fault tolerance (FT) functionality: The OneClick console should have a native HA or FT functionality. Actually, the only way to get this is by using a load balancer.

SpectroSERVER is the core component in CA Spectrum architecture which polls devices into the network. You can use multiple servers to build some kind of "cluster" to provide continued device polling when some server fails. A OneClick console (web server) is front-end of CA Spectrum, and it does not have an option to provide continued user access when a OneClick server fails (High Availability). You can use a Load Balancer, but is very expensive.

We have been using this solution for seven years.

SpectroSERVER and reporting databases can grow quickly. If you don't take care of trap storms, this can cause SpectroSERVER crashes and performance issues in the reporting.

No scalability issues were encountered.

Customer service is very good. I would give them a rating of 10 out of 10.

The North America technical support team is excellent, 10 out of 10.

The LATAM support team has some things to improve, six out of 10.

The initial setup was complex because it requires a deep knowledge about tool architecture and proprietary software. In some cases, if you make a mistake during the installation or the initial setup, the better solution is to reinstall or reinitialize some DB.

We implemented the solution through a vendor team. Their level of expertise was high, nine out of 10.

Licensing is usually expensive, but cost efficient.

We evaluated IBM Tivoli Monitoring.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend the use of CA Spectrum mainly to monitor network infrastructure. Use this tool like a “manager of managers”. Event monitoring is a very powerful functionality.

If you want to monitor servers, apps, and databases, then use CA UIM probes.