CA Spectrum Review

The event and fault management features are valuable. It supports NFV.

What is most valuable?

• Event management
  • Fault management
  • NFV support

How has it helped my organization?

The companies in which I have deployed this solution have benefited in several ways. From the technical perspective, they have a clear picture of their monitored systems and their dependencies. From the business perspective, they have improved MTTR significantly, creating an elevated ROI ratio.

What needs improvement?

The GUI needs to be changed from Java to HTML5. This includes its integration with CA UIM, and the ability to dynamically move objects around.

We have been using the solution for 12 years.

We did not encounter any issues with stability when the solution was properly scaled.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

I would rate the technical support at 7/10.

We did not previously use a different solution, but I have done many migrations from other vendors. At the moment, the only thing which doesn't make CA Spectrum a market leader is its price.

The setup is quite straightforward.

I've worked with many environments, and price varies depending on how large the environment is. For small/medium companies, it is still too expensive, making the ideal candidates large enterprises, which would certainly benefit from the ROI within a year.

We evaluated Nagios, SCOM, Zabbix, the Tivoli suite, and Infovista.

What other advice do I have?

If they have a large environment to monitor, CA Spectrum is certainly the better option, being ideal for OPS rooms, highly scalable and with very high availability.

1 visitor found this review helpful
1 Comment
Randall HindsReal UserELITE SQUADTOP 5

Great review here, Nuno. Agreed on so much of your assessment, especially "room for improvement". Despite the high price, CA hasn't invest on UI improvements.

06 November 17