CA SSO Review

We've found it to be a reliable and scalable SSO solution.

Video Review:

Valuable Features

We use our SSO CA product for doing our single sign-on for our B2B customers. We have about 200 applications that sit behind it and it does all our single sign-on for about 50,000 customers that we have in our B2B space.

We have three single sign-on products in our office and I believe that the CA product offers the best product of the three. We have Oracle Access Manager, and Open SSO also. Single sign-on is very fast. I've always been impressed with that. It's flexible. It give us a lot of opportunities for growth. It's been a very reliable product for us.

Room for Improvement

I'd like to see the federation piece made a little simpler. Working with Samuel in federation and those components, it can prove pretty challenging and that's where we've had to go outside and seek additional help on those areas. Their interface could use some work but they made great improvements with the 12.5 release. I think those are the primary areas.

I've found it to be a very stable platform. Unlike some of the other products we have in place, the up-time is very good. We find that it's very easy to establish high availability. We have to run a 24/7 shop to keep our customers happy and it's proved to be very reliable for us over time.

It's a very scalable product. From our perspective, we aren't much of a high volume customer and I know that based upon other customers that use the same product, they've been able to see a tremendous amount of growth with the product. We feel very comfortable that CA is continuing to improve it and move forward with the product for us in coming future.

I haven't had to use their technical for too much until recently when we were going through an upgrade right now. They've been very helpful in that role. We've got a couple consultants on board to help us out through the process and they've always been very reactive.

When you go through different management changes, a new manager comes in and they like different vendors so we've tested different vendors throughout it. We've been through some mergers and we've tried the Oracle's product and we were told to use that on some new systems. It hasn't proved to work real well. Now that we're moving forward, we believe that the CA SSO probably offers the best solution going forward for a single sign-on.

Like any other product, it's complex in setting up. You have to architect it properly and know how you want to set the product up and use it going forward, what platforms you want to run on. It does take time, but like any other major product like that, if it's done right it will work well for you.

Other Advice

While I think the vendor, it would have to be a large enterprise vendor who can support and offer the scalability that we hope to have in growth of a product. Our plan is to grow that into our consumer space, which will really expand the need for the scalability. I think those are the primary factors along with the support that you need in order to support a product like that.

I would say it's got to be an 8/10 because there's always room for improvement but I think it's a good product and I think an 8 would be a good score.

Recommendations: I would have them look at the same thing for scalability. Implementation is a component, ease of implementation. It can get complex so you have to do it right. Looking at those areas is very important but I'd highly recommend the product for anybody who wants to use a single sign-on.