CA SSO Review
You can use it to protect web services and web applications.

What is most valuable?

The flexibility; the multiple authentication schemes you can use; and the fact that you can use SiteMinder single sign-on to protect web services and web applications.

Customer support has been great too. CA has been good with my questions, getting us solutions for our two factor off, which we implemented a few years ago. They worked with us to get that rolled out. It's really flexible; and I think that's my favorite part.

How has it helped my organization?

We're able to have one single centralized way of logging in when you have shared sessions across all applications. It's flexible enough to have our two factor off implementation with it. It just makes things really easy for our users, both internal and external.

What needs improvement?

Like I said, it's pretty flexible. I mean it's met every one of our needs so far. We're currently looking to find ways of using the same authentication, which we've never actually used in it yet.

We're working with other companies now to provide federated authentication, both in and out. I will have to try that before I can say whether or not it's going to work. If it doesn't work, I think that's something we will have to explore with CA to find third-party alternatives, or something else in the future for enhancements.

I think SiteMinder's been perfectly stable. We just went through an upgrade about two years ago. We're still on SiteMinder, not SSO yet; so we still have another upgrade to do in the next year. It's been perfectly stable.

Our customer base is not the largest. It's probably about 10,000 right now. It's scaled fine. There's no problems there. I think we have room to grow if we need to. In terms of the number of applications we have thrown on there, it's grown pretty much exponentially since I started. No problems.

I've used technical support and I will say that I've said this to our sales rep a few times in the last two years, the customer support at CA has gotten so much better since I've started.

I used to get the runaround initially. They would ask us the same four questions all the time. I always felt like they were trying to brush me off and tell me “Go figure it out yourself” for the first few conversations.

For the past few years, it's been more like, "Okay, we know what you're on; we're tracking what you're doing; and we know that you're on this version and this version. How can we help?" It's more of a conversation, and that's great.

We converted from DMS, which was SiteMinder before CA bought it. I think it was relatively straightforward. From what I heard, there was a roles conversion process. We went from the old way of doing tasks to access roles. This required some work, but at that point, we didn't have that many web applications; so it wasn't a huge deal. It sounded like it was pretty smooth.