CA SSO Review
It enables integrated access to our separate HR and time reporting systems using a single profile.

What is most valuable?

The biggest value for us is being able to use SSO as a service that we can expose to all of our customers. For all of our customers, the idea is to have a single sign on where one account is created to access all of our systems.

How has it helped my organization?

It really improved the speed to market from account creation through provisioning, and onboarding. That's really one of the biggest advantages. Also, as users move from system to system, their account access follows them through it; so you don't need to create new credentials every time. That's one of the biggest benefits for us.

For instance, we have our HR system and our time reporting system. Those are two separate systems, but integrated access is possible using a single profile. It's great. You log in once, and you get that seamless account integration.

What needs improvement?

I'm not sure that it needs to do any more than it already does. I think as a solution, SSO works pretty well out of the box today. Out-of-the-box integration with other products would be an improvement, like the API Gateway; how we use the SSO in the Cloud organization and Sandbox; those kind of things. I think that's solved in this kind of integrated solution. But it would be if that was supported out-of-the-box.

But I think it's good. We're not in any major problems right now, so things are good.

It has been very stable.

We haven't had to scale really far out yet, but that's coming. We're probably going to double our usage in the next 12 months. That remains to be seen, but we don't really foresee any major problems there.

Technical support has been great. We do rely on them quite a bit. The organization is small, so having the ability to reach out to some really qualified people on the team helps. They've stepped up and really helped us through some of our implementation problems early on; but we're all good now.

Initial setup is pretty straightforward. There were no major problems there. Some of the use cases we are doing are a little complicated – that's where the nuance came in – but, from a high level, as a 'ready-to-go out-of-the-box' solution. It's been fun.

We looked at some of the Microsoft tools, ADFS and those pieces. We also looked at Azure and all those; but ultimately, we wanted something one per miss. We wanted it to be a service so that we could expand. We wanted to be able to scale up at our pace; and that's really where the SSO product fit right in.

What other advice do I have?

From our experience, start with a focus group first. Understand what the problem is, and what the needs are. Get those initial users in, and then focus on your long-term objective. If you have a very large set of people, you need to get into the system. Don't try to get them all at once. start small. Go to that business case, get the proof of concept. Take that pattern and evolve it.