CA SYSVIEW Performance Management Review

It's intuitive to use and you don't need a lot of expertise, but you need to know how to manage it.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable thing to us about SYSVIEW is the overall scale of it. They have a lot of jobs with a number of conditions that go into the overall job management. This gives it the ability to scale and deal with various job dependencies.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

I think some of the messaging from SYSVIEW could be improved. For example, how do you know if there’s a real issue that needs to be addressed? Is there something that identifies a problem in your configuration? Is there something for which you may need pro services?

While we do have consoles, what we attempt to do is to get those alerts integrated or reported into our monitors, and it wasn’t a very clean integration. We tried things like syslogging, but this required a lot of massaging and it's still not perfect.

After the complexity of the initial implementation, we've had no issues with deployment.

The system is extremely stable.

When making that call to technical support, the triage is sometimes a little rough to get you to someone who will effectively help you. When trying to solve some performance issues, it was better for us to engage and get them side-by-side. There were times when we had to go outside of CA with known experts.

We migrated from our older solution to this one. This is much easier to manage. Our previous solution was heavy with a lot of baggage which required a lot of resource commitment and getting experts in.

The initial setup was complex and accompanied with the fact that we didn’t have a lot of latitude. Also, our workload manager gave us added complexities, so we didn’t get to do a lot of greenfield stuff, requiring a bit of massaging.

What other advice do I have?

I would say first and foremost, understand your business rules and understand what you are trying to accomplish and your requirements to the fullest. Then make sure they are articulated so you can make a good decision. A lot of time, folks look at a product pipeline and not looking at their requirements.

More CA SYSVIEW Performance Management reviews from users