CA SYSVIEW Performance Management Review

We use it to define alarms based on product-provided metrics. In CICS monitoring, we even use autocancel functions based on threshold settings.

What is most valuable?

Almost all of the features are valuable but specifically z/OS (base), CICS, IMS and MQ.

The TCP/IP feature is used a little, and the CAPTURE feature occasionally, helping a lot when dealing with some issues.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the most important usage for us is implementation of alarms based on product-provided metrics (especially on loops). In CICS monitoring area, we even use autocancel functions based on threshold settings.

What needs improvement?

Perhaps the IMS monitoring part could be improved (at least according IMS specialists).

I have been using it for over three years.

I have not encountered any stability issues. Most issues have been minor errors or performance issues (most of those were handled by appropriate parameter settings).

I have not encountered any scalability issues; setting is quite granular.

Technical support is very skilled and helpful.

I previously used the BMC MainView family of products. We switched to CA mostly for cost reasons.

Initial installation and setup is quite straightforward but after that, some customization and planning is necessary if you want to get the best out of the product. But the customization part (or parameters for customization) is quite well documented.

Before choosing this product, the IBM solution was another option under consideration.

What other advice do I have?

In previous releases, the default setting was consuming too much CPU perhaps, but since 14.1, this was tuned quite well. Still, I would advise checking the interval setting in SCHD* parmlib members in case you want to keep CPU usage by SYSVIEW as low as possible. Using ZIIP is also good thing, where applicable.

14.1