CA SYSVIEW Review

We like that it's an all in one monitoring solution. The single install helps us out.

Video Review:

What is our primary use case?

This is our primary performance monitor. It replaced BMC Mainview and is much easier to install and maintain.  Most of what we need is all in this single product.  We monitor z/OS, JES2, MQ, IMS, CICS and TCPIP with this product over 3 lpars.  It's very easy to switch from lpar to lpar without even leaving the product.  This is very helpful to us.

How has it helped my organization?

It's beneficial because it also ties into other CA products that we have. It makes it a really good fit.

What is most valuable?

It's an all in one monitoring solution because of the different subsystems we have such as JZ2, MQ, CICS and being the fact that it's an all inclusive and an all single install really helps us out.

What needs improvement?

I guess really just kind of expansion. We specifically use IMS as our database. I think really in the line of IMS and what it can provide needs to be expanded a little bit for some of our purposes.

More than five years.

It's been really stable. We're on probably at least our fourth or fifth different version. I've actually taken part in some other betas of different versions and I've been really happy with the stability, especially with the latest one which is 14.1, which just came out.

We haven't had any kind of performance issues regarding the product. Scales well for the number of users being the fact that it uses specialty engines also is a help because we do run specialty engines on our machine.

Customer service has been excellent

I've always had really good luck with CA technical support. I've opened a lot of problems over the years and always gotten a really good, quick response time and always gotten a solution that I needed.

It was very straight forward being the fact that I've installed it a number of times actually made this latest installation very easy.

Implemented via an in-house team

What other advice do I have?

A solution has to be, one, user friendly. It needs to be easy to install and maintain. It does need to interface into the things that we want it to. Really just being able to play nicely in the field that we're working in and along with the other products. Those are some of the biggest things we look for.

I would probably rate it a 9/10. I'll be honest, not a ten because I'm very particular and I would always have difficulty no matter how much I liked a product to give it a ten.

Make sure you set thresholds. The out of the box thresholds are okay, but because each site is different it's really important to be able to get the right kind of reporting and alerts that you do need and want to utilize. It's important that the thresholds are set correctly, otherwise you end up getting a lot of false positives and then you end up tend to ignoring the alerts instead of actually paying attention to them.