CA SYSVIEW Review

CA is easy to work with and the support is extraordinary for this product

What is our primary use case?

For UPS, we are trying to match up end-to-end between distributive and the mainframe. So far, the AutoSys view, it looks good on a mainframe. We are just having trouble matching it up on the distributive side, but the data collection and everything looks fine to us mainframe folks.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefits are kind of what we are looking for. We are not there yet, and end-to-end, we are trying to tie it up with our distributive apps to match them up with the mainframe apps. Therefore, everything is tied through one single pane of glass.

What is most valuable?

Like a Megamind does, it provides CPU contention batch job information. We are looking more for our kicks regions and stuff, which it self discovers, then they have some work to do. However, it has been very valuable so far.

What needs improvement?

The product itself seems very good. The documentation, like installation guides and stuff, put it all in one place.

Still implementing.

We are still in early stages. Right now, it looks fine from what I see of it. We have only really put the CISS regions on it. We have not pushed out anymore online or anything yet.

Yet to be determined.

Between the tech support and the person I was working with, they have been extraordinary.

I was surprised at how easy it was to work with them. I have worked with them in the past and I did not always find it that way. In the past, I am going back about 10 years. Now, they seem to have come a long way.

We were and still are using Megamind. We still are because it has been customized for our online regions, but it does not give us the end-to-end. So, that is the reason we are going for the SYSVIEW and the APM, as well.

It was dictated to me from upper management. Apparently someone from CA spoke to one of our upper management. It was the end-to-end solution to what we have been looking for at UPS.

It was a little tedious, but it was brand new to us. The documentation kind of jumps around because there are all different parts. However, the support has been outstanding.

There was a lot to do and different multiple pieces to it. It is not just one piece because of the way a SYSVIEW operates, touching almost every part of the operating system.

We knew it was coming like that. Just being the only person, it takes a lot of time. We do not really have a direction set for what we are trying to accomplish, so that makes it a little tougher.

So far, I am the in-house team.

Compuware and another vendor, but CA came in with the best deal.

What other advice do I have?

You need to be partnered with CA. Work alongside of them. It makes it a lot easier because of the amount that goes into installing this product. You will need a little help.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: usability and scalability.