CA Test Data Manager Review

We have moved data creation from manual or limited and costly automated processes to a set of weekly data builds and an On-Demand offering capable of delivering versatile data.

What is most valuable?

Synthetic Data Creation with use of flexible built in data functions.

How has it helped my organization?

We have moved data creation from manual or limited and costly automated processes to a set of weekly data builds and an On-Demand offering capable of delivering versatile data that meets the needs of our many teams.

What needs improvement?

An increase in the types of programmatic capabilities could allow the tool to be more powerful. For instance, often data inserts in one table are contingent upon entries or flags from another. In these situations, there is no way to choose to include/exclude a row based on the primary table.

2.5 years

The tool installs in a snap and includes test repositories that allow for new users to start working with the application immediately.

The stability of the tool has never been an issue. Any time a possible defect has surfaced, the support team was quick to respond. Beyond that, there have been constant new versions created that provide optimizations.

The many databases supported and data delivery formats available provide a seemingly endless supply of options to meet the ever growing demand of our testing teams.

Above and beyond that of any company that I’ve worked with before. I’ve never been more than an hour or two without a response to a standard ticket creation.

Also above the standard. Those that support TDM have an intimate knowledge with the product and it’s many available use cases.

All previous solutions were homegrown and they missed the complete solution we found in CA’s TDM.

Our process had ups and downs as we tempted to get TDM off the ground. The winning combination for us was TDM experts from a vendor-partner, Orasi Software, Inc. working hand in hand with employees that had an intimate knowledge with our systems.

This tool had been purchased by another group in our company but it’s potential was not realized.

What other advice do I have?

Our biggest wins in implementing this tool was to start out by working with a singular team and find some data delivery wins. After that internal proof of concept was realized, expansion to other teams became much more simple.