Ca2

CA Test Data Manager Review
Provides a centralized view of the test data and how efficiently you can use it across business units.

Video Review:

Valuable Features:

The most important feature I see is how to have a centralized view of the test data; how efficiently you can use the test data across different business units, starting from generating the data that you need to use, to how to use it, repetitively; how you can grow on it, on top of the base data that you create. TDM is very, very efficient.

Improvements to My Organization:

Now, though, my company is going through a process to be more agile, which is basically the theme of a recent CA conference I attended. While we are trying to go through the agile journey, there are some building blocks that need to be in place. Test data in the whole product lifecycle, is very, very important; how good is the data that you have; how efficiently you can run those test cases, again and again, repetitively, which is very important; and I guess the features that TDM gives fit right into that; what we are looking for, in the journey that we are having.

Room for Improvement:

I think one thing we would like to see is how quickly it can be used like a SaaS product. You can just plug in incoming data that we have from different sources; how quickly that can be integrated and how the test data can be generated. That quickness I think is something that can be improved.

If plugins can be developed very quickly, that will help companies like us, because we have hundreds of data sources.

Stability Issues:

Looking at the use cases that we have seen and some of the customer testimonials that we see, I think it shows it has gone through the journey and how the quality of the product is. Some of the proof of concepts that we have done, working with the technology people, we can see the stability of the product; how it can also be very useful to our company.

Scalability Issues:

I think one of the main features of TDM is how you can scale from a small organization; how you can use it in a very big organization. In our company, that is everything. Only because of that very feature, scalability, we are considering TDM.

We have not actually used technical support, because we had gone through some of the proof of concepts, as I’ve mentioned. We were already working with some of the Test Data Management group. We are in the process of finalizing the last couple of products that we are looking at and TDM definitely is at the top.

Previous Solutions:

We were previously using several products, including some in-house products. From my previous experience working with CA, I knew some of the products that they offer. While during the process of the RFP and also some of the new contracts; old contracts are getting renewed; we definitely saw it come to mind and that's how we turned to CA and started this engagement.

Initial Setup:

We are here to buy it, as I’ve mentioned, but there was an initial setup to do the proof of concepts. I was involved in it with some of their technology people.

It was easy I think because of the experts who were there. They know how to interact with people who don't know the product. When we evolved through that product knowledge, I think they also took us through the journey. It was very easy to interact with them.

Other Solutions Considered:

There were also other vendors on our shortlist and, as I’ve mentioned, scalability was one of the main reasons because we are growing faster than ever. The data is growing by TBs and TBs, so I think it was one of the big reasons and secondly, I think if we also look at the market, the rating for TDM is very good. I think it was a unilateral decision that TDM should be one of the final products that we should go for.

Other Advice:

Use this product with a proof of concept for your organization. The product is very agile. It can fit into small and big organizations, so don't be afraid of that. The product has a lot of features; the way it has been, the product works, is the features. It can work for you as a smaller organization. It can work for a very large organization. Scalability is there. Just use it as a proof of concept and you'll see the power of the TDM.

If we are able to get those – maybe it is there, and we just have to see it in my company – plugging in from all of those different sources, I think that will definitely make it 100% the product that we're looking for.

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About CA Test Data Manager?

Our experts can help. 228,876 professionals have used our research on 5,836 solutions.