CA Unified Communications Monitor Review

Good end-to-end voice quality monitoring and offers valuable features

What is our primary use case?

The solution is monitoring a call center solution for one of our customers. The call center is key in the business process of our customer

How has it helped my organization?

Now we can check or the total solution of managed VPN, managed LAN and voice solution does deliver a proper voice quality.

What is most valuable?

For us, it's very key to know the voice quality of the total solution, which is based on many components across many domains. Using this solution we check the end to end voice quality (using MOS scores). Monitoring end to end will show how well we deliver voice transportation across our IP infrastructure. If this shows that the voice quality is good, then we know exactly that it is perfect.

What needs improvement?

The solution should have automatic baseline detection. On the per hour, per base, per week. That's usually the best. And on a per individual CI level. I know that they're working on it and when that's available then we will definitely implement it because it will reduce the effort we need to maintain all the products.

Right now we have to set thresholds for every location, and it needs to be actually dynamic so if we have better thresholding, we'll have faster alarms across all our locations. We won't have to expend effort on it by resetting or checking them on a regular basis.

I've been using the solutions for two years.

The environment is scheduling, checking and setting out alerts, and if there is an alert, you see it on the dashboard. The dashboard is being checked regularly, and it's the final test to let us know if we're doing this very good or not. If a VOIP quality degradation is detected, an automatic incident creation will be executed.

We don't need a lot of scale for this solution. As long you understand the setup well, you are not ending up in large-scale solutions because large scale VOIP solutions is still based on a limited number of VOIP components. The total number of users on the solution is 20. They're key users, admins, and operators.

There was a drop in knowledge after the takeover by Broadcom . And we knew the key was in the in depth knowledge of the monitored VOIP domain. So after we ran through this cycle, we knew most of the issues were related to VOIP. It wasn't clear to us what problems we were facing were caused by the tool and what problems we were facing were caused by the platform or the tool. It turned out to be the VOIP platform.

The tool itself is rather straightforward but you have to understand the VOIP solutions very well. We did run into a mistake in the file setup. So when they corrected it, it was solved. So it was not because of the product, but there was a mistake in the file setup.

We did the implementation on our own.

It's giving us a guarantee that it eventually works. We have a thousand components there that are showing all the servers very well. So how do we measure ROI? If we don't have this we now have a huge problem. So it's kind of proof to the government that we do deliver our service very well.

We did use another tool. We did switch it off because of security. About five years ago we switched it off because it was not secure at all.

What other advice do I have?

You have to closely implement. When you implement it, you have to work very well with the team who's implementing the voice platform. A mistake we made was not working closely enough and that had to be corrected, then everything was working flawlessly.

I would rate this solution between a 7 and an 8 out of 10. There's a limited focus in the product. It has some nice features as well. But it has limited widgets. It works very well, but there's a limited number of widgets.