CA Unified Infrastructure Management Review
The discovery tools and the ease of initial setup are very good.

Valuable Features

CA UIM (AKA Nimsoft Monitor) - I give the monitoring application a 5 compared to other products such as HP SIM, Nagios,spiceworks, SolarWinds and WhatsUpGold

CA CSM (AKA Nimsoft Service Desk) - Initially I thought the ticket product was a 2-3 star product. After working with it for the past 6 months though I would have to give it a 5. I have used other systems like Remedy and Footprints and this is far superior to those products. With CSM you are given a blank canvas and can use the system and its modules for everything from a ticketing system or a workflow and process automation tool.

The discovery tools and the ease of initial setup are very good and the way that probes are deployed makes the setup and day to day functions very simple to use.

Improvements to My Organization

The application allows our NOC operators a very fast response time for issues on our clients systems. By utilizing the alarm and ticketing system we are able to validate the alarm and begin working on the issue sometime before the client even knows there is a situation.

Room for Improvement

The automated discovery tools have come a long way in the past few years, but it would be nice if that same tool could also pull systems configuration information as well.

Use of Solution

I have worked with NMS and ticketing solutions for approximately 10 years now, utilizing the CA Nimsoft products for the past 5+ years.

I have deployed the product in multiple environments and across multiple OS types without issue. The deployment can be as small as one or two servers, or can scale up very well for large distributed deployments.

Issues seen with stability of the product were wiped out years ago, the product has been rock solid since then.

As I said above, scalability is one of the key parts to my deployments. I have had no issues in the past, but you must have an understanding of the systems bus and response metrics to really scale the product up to its full potential.

Customer service and technical support have been great and I feel like they actually listen when a bug or improvement is brought to their attention.

A+ support for both products

Yes I have used multiple products in the past. The switch to Nimsoft was due to a executive level decision for cost savings. If setup properly this solution is not as expensive as some of its competitors.

Implementation Team

I have never had CA professional services involved. I was able to do my first deployment without issues out of the box. About a year into working with the product I went to official CA training for certification as a Nimsoft Engineer in their level 101, 201 and 301 courses at their MA campus just outside of Boston.

Other Advice

The documentation is great and so are the forums. The included documentation and wiki gives you more than enough data to get through the day to day monitoring. The forums and support are there if you have something more complex.

1 visitor found this review helpful

1 Comment

Ravi SuvvariReal UserTOP 5POPULAR

Very valuable inputs regarding CA Unified Infrastructure Todd; Thank you for sharing Ravi Suvvari

07 April 15