Ca2

CA Unified Infrastructure Management Review

Valuable Features:

The scalability of the product and heterogeneous OS coverage is really what sets this product apart from others. Other features like synthetic (e2e) transaction monitoring, OOTB application support as well as the UMP (Unified Monitoring Portal) are the icing on the cake.

Improvements to My Organization:

CA UIM is really built for the MSP and multi-tenant environments, although companies of all sizes are able to benefit from it. My company is a managed service provider and there are really no other products that allow us to manage multiple customer environments like UIM.

I’ve heard that there is now a free tool (CA UIM Snap) for up to 30 devices, but I haven’t used it yet.

Room for Improvement:

There really is no perfect monitoring tool, CA UIM is really the best of breed if you need monitoring for all Operating Systems and a large list of diverse applications. Some areas of improvement would include enhanced management for the UMP where the MSP is concerned. Additional configuration auditing and reporting.

Use of Solution:

Six years.

Deployment Issues:

I’ve been working with the product for a long time and have a lot of experience with deployment, so I didn’t have any issues. I do recommend that Professional Services be engaged in all but the smallest deployments. I’ve heard of many environments not being designed for scalability and deployed by the customer that had to be completely rebuilt due to a lack of knowledge on the product. Aspire Technical Professionals has a solid track record of successful large CA UIM deployments.

Stability Issues:

In a large environment using tunnels, occasionally there were stability issues. I found most them were self-inflicted though early on due to my inexperience with the product.

Scalability Issues:

There were no issues with scalability after re-designing. After years of experience and PS we found the tiered design works best for scalability.

Customer service is helpful and knowledgeable.

8 out of 10

Previous Solutions:

We tried several Open Source tools like Nagios and Zenoss, but as the environment grew we found that those tools wouldn’t scale the way we wanted. There was also a lack of Synthetic Transaction monitoring tools that would require large internal development effort. We chose Nimsoft because it covered Windows and Linux and most of the applications we wanted to monitor out of the box. Another large factor for us was the ability to customize the product, since we were used to using Open Source tools.

Initial Setup:

Initial setup was difficult because we didn’t know what we were doing and had to re-design and re-deploy. I would definitely recommend professional services for all but the smallest environments, as it would’ve paid for itself in man hours.

Implementation Team:

Initially, we deployed internally which was a mistake. We were directed to Aspire Technical Professionals and they were able to help re-design our implementation to be scalable and highly available.

ROI:

I’m not sure the total ROI at this point, but as a service provider we generate revenue with the product so I’m sure it has paid for itself time after time.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

I don’t handle the contract negotiation, but expect this isn’t Open Source so expect to pay for an Enterprise Monitoring solution. I’m a firm believer of “you get what you pay for” with almost everything. I’m a fan of Open Source tools for specific solutions, but a large multi-tenant environment needs an Enterprise solution.

Other Solutions Considered:

Yes. SolarWinds, Tivoli, ManageEngine, and Accelops.

10 visitors found this review helpful
7606a777 bfe2 41e8 86ea 46601874184f avatar?1439570710Picture 1132 13568785813c1630ba 4063 4d21 9717 dfb8ad1dc68d avatar?1438711361Reviewer148614 li?1414338641David figarotta li?1425510042Picture ravi suvvariAdrian spittles avatar 1433945888?1433945885A7da7cbd 7028 49be 97e2 475caa051a06 avatar?14478047810 gdq5auib2lmz2r6abscwad likj47yeaqwehcd0i8ryrig4xxjvwvwhg7s0?1414330838Anonymous avatar x30

3 Comments

Picture ravi suvvari
Ravi SuvvariReal UserTOP 5POPULAR

Very valuable inputs regarding CA Unified Infrastructure Jason; Thank you for sharing Ravi Suvvari

Like (0)07 April 15
Picture 1132 1356878581
HenryReal UserTOP REVIEWERTOP 5

Cool review

Like (0)29 July 15
A7da7cbd 7028 49be 97e2 475caa051a06 avatar?1447804781
Stefan StasikConsultantTOP 20

Thank you, this was a informative review of UIM!

Like (0)18 November 15