CA Unified Infrastructure Management Review

When it hits thresholds, an alert is triggered and we can act, reducing user impact, although it has group sprawl where different groups have different threshold levels, quickly getting out of hand.

Valuable Features

The most valuable features are the alerts that go to the service desk and the application-level monitoring.

Improvements to My Organization

Having a monitoring tool allows us to preempt disasters. When it hits thresholds, then an alert is triggered and we can act, reducing user impact. That reduces service interruption.

Room for Improvement

It seems clunky, not as user friendly as Spectrum, for example. When setting up monitoring you can have Nimsoft agents installed on some servers but not others, so maybe it’s a bit more complex than it needs to be. It’s not as straightforward or easy to implement as Spectrum was.

It serves its purpose. We only seem to be able to have one threshold per server at this stage instead of multiple; it’s not clear whether that’s a limitation of the software. They have a whole bunch of different groups – for example one group has a threshold of a certain value, and another group with another threshold. So many groups can quickly get out of hand; managing that many different groups can be difficult.

We just have to watch the group sprawl.

Our networks team have, so I can’t comment on what that support is like. We’ve had the support, but I think it’s a combination – they’ve advised on best practices and how we should do things so they’ve done their job to a certain extent. But we haven’t had a CA resource for implementing those best practices.

It was already in production when I joined.