CA Unified Infrastructure Management Review

We have the flexibility to be able to have a customized solution for an end customer that it wasn’t necessarily designed for, although we’ve had a hard time bringing up the UMP and keeping it stable.

Valuable Features

• Open framework provides the ability to go outside the GUI and automate tasks and functions for reliability without being in the GUI all the time.
  • It gives us the flexibility to create our own modules.

Improvements to My Organization

• From a business perspective, it reduces head count by automating tasks, whether its deployment, maintenance, recovery.
  • We have the flexibility to be able to have a customized solution for an end customer that it wasn’t necessarily designed for, and the ability to turn it around quickly.
  • For example, one of our clients had the ability to do per-message routing to various groups. We took the message stream and automated tickets generations, notices, and recoveries

The biggest concern stability wise falls under UMP, the management protocol. We’ve had a hard time bringing it up and keeping it stable. It runs, but it keeps losing components. We opened several tickets, but we’ve not had things refresh (charts don’t update) and have had lost data (such as some reporting that we can’t get to). Unified Reporter went offline altogether on v.8.31. It was OK on 8.2.

No problems with scalability right now, but I have a fundamental design concern—everything comes back to a central point, and while I haven’t seen it become a major problem yet, I can see that once you get over around 20,000 devices, it can become a problem, or if you increase your data too much, data just backs up and the system slows.

Right now, both processes of Linux-to-Oracle and Windows-to-SQL backend are similar at 2700 messages/minute, which is OK, and they go up to 4500, but I can see where that will eventually get to a point where the central point can’t handle.

NAS, single point – it allows for a lot of customization, but there are limitations in terms of scalability. You can distribute the NAS, but it adds a lot more complexity.

Good tech support. Like every tech support, you can get new techies, and there are veterans, but I don’t have any fundamental complaints. They’re fairly good and quick. Follow up is a little slow, but not bad enough that it’s a huge problem.

I was not involved, but I rebuilt it, and that was fairly easy and straightforward. I don’t see it as being challenging, but what is lacking from my perspective is an overall flow. They do good a job of explaining the details and specifics, but they lack the general overall architecture mentality of how things work together.

Other Advice

I’ve actually pointed people to UIM because it can be simple. It can be as simple or complicated as you want. The simplicity helps a lot of places get up and running. The ability to drop a module on a server and click a couple things helps and is a lot easier. Pretty straightforward to set up and can be basic if you want. It allows you to get far more complicated as well.