CA UIM (DX Infrastructure Manager) Review

It's helped us with making sure our high-impact, high-use applications are available. However, it has trouble with one-off metric probes.

Valuable Features

It provides us with granularity. That is, we can get different metrics for different platforms for any given device at a pretty detailed level.

Improvements to My Organization

It provides us with infrastructure availability and application availability. If any one of your apps aren’t working, especially high-impact, high-use applications, it affects business. So, it's really helped us with making sure our applications are available.

Room for Improvement

They should further test their probe development. If we add a probe to pick out certain metrics from a particular platform, it’s not easy and there are some issues. The mainstream stuff, the application is usually pretty good at those. It has trouble, though, with the one-off metric probes.

Deployment hasn't been an issue.

In terms of stability, there’s a little bit of latency, but CA's looking to change it.

It’s very scalable, and has been able to handle our growing number of devices.

It's pretty good, and they're very responsive. The guys I've dealt with are sufficient, and if they can’t answer, they escalate our ticket.

I wasn't involved in the initial setup.

Other Advice

Don’t try to over-deploy. Start small and grow into it. Take your most important platform or application. Don’t just try to install everything.