CA Unified Infrastructure Management Review

Valuable Features

Centralization and distribution are the most valuable features for us. Those two things are pretty key for our organization.

• Centralization is important because we can manage and view everything from one point.
  • Distribution is important because we can manage everything from one point and do it on a mass scale.

Improvements to My Organization

We started with nothing, so getting anything was better. But through the years, it's improved stability-wise and is our bread and butter for monitoring. The openness of it means it can accept alarms from anywhere, which is pretty key because we have other systems that that are not CA.

Room for Improvement

It's too modular in the sense that there is not an awareness of things. If you set up an alarm for 10 different things but the actual host is down, then, in theory, you could get 10 alarms. Going forward, it would be nice if there was some kind of awareness of not just the host, but it knows what a service is and you can define it, it can suppress those kinds of alarms. Thay way, you only really get one alarm that is important instead of getting flooded with 10 or 15.

I would say, too, that I have seen some of their roadmap features and I think they are working towards that, but it is just a little more difficult because of the way they designed the software.

Use of Solution

We've used it for about seven years.

We've had no issues with deployment.

There's nothing out of the ordinary with deployment because you're going to have some issues with all products depending on how it fits into your environment. Product iterations get better and better over the years. We've worked with UIM for seven years now, and we've seen a lot of different versions, and they get more and more stable.

I wouldn't say that there has been anything out of the ordinary.

I'd give them 7-8/10 as they're really responsive. CA's acquisition of Nimsoft has not resulted in lower quality support. We have twice-a-month meetings with them to talk about issues. They've helped us out a lot.

When I first started, we used Groundwork, an open-source tool.

It's pretty straightforward and intuitive.

Implementation Team

I implemented it in-house, which, as I later found out at a conference, that I had set it up better than most others.

Other Solutions Considered

I did the evaluation before we decided to go with Nimsoft.

Other Advice

Look for three main things -- scalability, because you want a platform that will grow; ease of management, because you may have thousands of devices to manage; and single-point data presentation, because you could have hundreds of hosts with all their data.

CA UIM meets all of these at a less expensive price than the other large vendors.