CA UIM (DX Infrastructure Manager) Review

Proactive monitoring of infrastructure, servers, devices, and applications.

What is most valuable?

The valuable features are that it monitors our infrastructure, our servers, network devices, and applications proactively. It helps us to prevent problems and UIM tells us how to do that.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it for capacity planning and capacity management.

What needs improvement?

A would like to see a little deeper application monitoring and maybe some of the capabilities of CA Spectrum.

CA UIM is very stable. We don't have a lot of problems with it.

The scalability is very easy. We just went global and we scaled up to another about 2000 devices.

Once you get to the right person, you get your problem fixed pretty quickly. Now that we have had CA UIM for a little over 4 years, we have worked through those issues so we know exactly who to go to, who to contact to work on our cases, so it's not that big of deal anymore.

We had and older version Microsoft SCOM and it did not monitor Linux servers at that time. We needed a solution that could handle that. We had solo wins for network and we needed a solution that was scalable and a solution that we could migrate to our global infrastructure. In a previous company, I worked with CA products before, (Spectrum, eHealth, and Live Health), so I trusted CA and knew CA was a good product so I came back to them again.

My team was involved with the initial setup. The setup was was probably in the middle between straightforward and complex. We did have some initial problems such as getting our network to be monitored. We had some SNP collector problems. We got them all worked out. CA was very good and they did multiple hours over there over the Statement of Work (SoW) because we had problems. They stuck with us and got us going.

We did a POC with approximately 6 vendors. Microsoft SCOM was one of them. We were looking at cost, reliability, scalability, and the ability to monitor all our infrastructure and provide dashboard reporting at a high service level. All of that was very important to us. CA passed. We went out to Gartner consultants, and at that time four years ago, they selected CA UIM as the number one product for the price. To choose a vendor, make sure you know what requirements you want. CA UIM can do a lot of things. You really need to know what you want from CA UIM, or there is a potential of failing. I think one additional criteria is your statement of work needs to be very precise.