Ca2

CA Unified Infrastructure Management Review
Not a lot of customization is required in order to implement it.

Video Review:

Valuable Features

One of the most valuable features would be the out-of-the-box capability. It's extremely capable from day one. Not a lot of customization is required in order to implement it within your environment. I think that's just a huge resource win, from a time-measurement perspective. We're a small shop in a very large company. The quicker we can roll things out, the bigger wins, the quick wins, are obviously going to be beneficial to our environment.

We're utilizing the E2E probes as well as the URL probes in the infrastructure in which it's being run on. We're running about 100 VDI desktops and about 300 different applications.

Improvements to My Organization

It's provided us an opportunity to have visualization and insight into some applications that we haven't had before. A lot of the applications in the past did not have Citrix monitoring capability, which this has, or VDI monitoring capability. In the healthcare industry, that's really a big component of what we do. A lot of our critical applications run on the Citrix platform and, in the past, we just haven't had any visibility into how those applications were performing.

Room for Improvement

One of the biggest areas to improve would be the training aspect. There's a little bit of training out there available right now. I know it's a newer CA product. I think the training is a little rudimentary at this point. I think there needs to be some more advanced-level training available.

Use of Solution

We've had it installed in our environment about a year now.

Stability has been spot on. We haven't had any problems. We actually performed an upgrade mid-cycle, and the upgrade went flawlessly with literally no issues. Correlation has been fantastic. We've integrated with several different applications, as well, for monitoring, alerting, things of that nature. No problems at all.

Scalability is huge. It’s not overly expensive, so I'm able to build upon it relatively cheap, which is a huge win for anybody, any company. As I’ve mentioned, we're running about 100 desktops right now in our VDI environment. We've scaled back. Even though that sounds like a big footprint, due to its advanced scalability within the actual environment, we were able to reduce the number of actual physical robots that we were utilizing from 400 to 100.

We haven't needed to use tech support. We do have some direct sales guys that we utilize, and those have been our primary functionality. I have used tech support for other applications within CA and I've never had any problems.

One of the primary triggers for investing in a new solution was the fact that our current system didn't meet the requirements and the needs as our company began to grow and take on new applications. Additionally, the election to sunset the previous product that we were utilizing made for a big push to look for something new.

Personally, when I’m selecting a vendor, I want somebody who feels like they've got something to lose. Obviously, if I go with your tool set, and you don't seem to really care about the upgrade or my pain points, and you don't feel like, "Hey. I've bought it and I walked away from it. You're stuck with it.", that makes the relationship difficult. CA is extremely committed. I think that would be one of the things: commitment to success. They're extremely committed to our success and I can't be more thankful.

Setup is extremely straightforward; very easy to implement. We set up our test environment in about 2-3 days, and then our prod environment took about 3-4. It's a little bit larger, a little bit more robust.

It's as next, next, next as you could make, I think, an implementation.

Other Solutions Considered

We actually vetted several other applications. We looked at Dynatrace. We looked at Login VSI. We looked at BMC's new tool. We did the gambit of running around, looking at different monitoring solutions. AppDynamics was included in that. I think on scalability, functionality, and ease of implementation, UIM won out.

Other Advice

There's always going to be room for improvement. Why I rate it this high is the ease of implementation, ease of use. I brought in several guys that never had any development experience. In 1-2 days of training, they were able to get some stuff knocked out for us; help us with the implementation process and the transitioning of it. Ease of use is huge. You don't have to be super-techy in order to utilize the product. Of course, to utilize it to its full functionality, sure, but day-one, out-of-the-box stuff is just phenomenal.

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About CA Unified Infrastructure Management?

Our experts can help. 242,522 professionals have used our research on 5,991 solutions.