CA Unified Infrastructure Management Review

Gives an overall picture when it comes to monitoring throughout the whole environment for us to act upon

What is our primary use case?

Our main use case is obviously doing base monitoring with the product, and also going beyond that doing URL monitoring. We are actually exploring more than what the UIM can perform with the current solution that we have in place. So, we are migrating everything over to the UIM. So far, it works well, even though we have not migrated everything over.

What is most valuable?

Obviously, the base monitoring and how we can essentially set up alerts to go to the board through Spectrum. However, that is pretty much our main use case for it.

The alerts and thresholds that we set up within the tool, that's important for the business. If it were to meet that threshold, it goes to the board, which in turn, we can notify the application's owners swiftly to minimize the impact of a SEP-1. So, it is critical.

How has it helped my organization?

Just to have that overall picture when it comes to monitoring throughout the whole environment and be able to act on it.

What needs improvement?

The main complaint with the tool is we are attempting to migrate off of SCOM and the management packs that SCOM has for exchange (ED and SharePoint) it does not look like UIM and can't necessarily compete with those. Maybe, if that could be improved.

I would have to look up some actual use cases, but when we initially set up the 6-risk environment within UIM, it did not meet the needs for the application owners who actually manage the Citrix environment. They decided to actually go back to SCOM. That was the one main concern, and that is something that we will have to readdress with CA.

Less than one year.

It seems pretty stable. I have not had any cyclic concerns. There was an issue when we migrated to the latest version, but we had support that day to get it resolved and it was resolved within 24 hours, so that was a plus.

When we upgraded to the latest version, the admin lost access to the management console. That was the issue and it got resolved really quickly.

I do not know if I can speak to it.

The individual that manages the product itself used tech support. She received a response/resolved within 24 hours. She found them to be knowledgeable.

We moved from the HPE product suite two or three years ago. I was not a part of that, but the main complaint with HPE was the support was locking. That is really about it.

We did migrate from a different solution, which had a similar functionality. I would not say that it necessarily added to it, but I received feedback from the admin who administers the tool itself that it is a lot easier to use and very user friendly for the teams.

While I was not involved in the initial setup, I have not heard anything bad about it either.

Splunk, AppDynamics, and CA were on our shortlist.

What other advice do I have?

I started just a few months ago, but the company has been using it for about two years now. I have been surprised by the foothold CA has on the marketplace and how many products they actually manage.

I would definitely recommend the concept if it is something you are looking for.Just make sure that it integrates with the rest of the tools in your environment.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• Functionality of the product
  • Ease of use.

What I like about CA compared to other vendors is they are not pushy. They are actually more supportive if we have any issues they will get the appropriate rep to assist. Our rep does not feel like he is a sales rep, even though he is. To have that good relationship with the people that you are responsible for is a big deal, because I have dealt with other vendors where they are kind of the sleazy, salesman type.