CA Unified Infrastructure Management Review

Provides a comprehensive monitoring solution for our open systems

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of our UIM product is for monitoring Windows and Linux servers.

How has it helped my organization?

Provides a comprehensive monitoring solution for our open systems and also the mainframe. That is our biggest benefit. The comprehensive monitoring aspects of it with over 200 probes available and one robot.

What is most valuable?

The vast array of robots that are available.

What needs improvement?

We have a customized auditing feature that we have set up to ensure configurations are deployed to each server as per our desired model. We have 104 models and 104 packages. All of that has been custom written. If the product had something like that built in, I think that would be a benefit.

That is an audit that goes to each server each night and verifies that the setup is according to our desired model for that particular server type.

We have a few customized routines we have had built for our scale. It is beyond auditing. We had to come up with a few alarm hubs and concentrated hubs for different segments which are not a standard use case. I would tend to think, in enterprise solutions, our use case would be sort of typical. So, we had to do some work to make what was more of a business class solution work at the enterprise level.

UIM is very stable.

Scalability is good. We have had to do some customized horizontal scaling solutions that we fed back to CA, which we think they are incorporating, but it is scalable.

They are actually very good. Technical support is good. If we get to product support, the product manager is responsive. We have expressed some concerns and areas for improvement, and they were addressed.

We had no previous solution. It was the early days of Windows NT 3.5.

We decided to go with CA in the late 1990's, and we have been with CA ever since.

Initial setup was complex, given our business use case. We are not hosting standard back office solutions. We host a really complex set of solutions which we wrote. Another division handed us the opportunity to monitor their solutions as written, and UIM was very useful for that.

An opportunity with licensing that was presented back in the late 90's which gave us pretty much site license for any of our products. Then, once embedded in our operations and development, it was hard to dislodge. That was our primary reason. There are a lot of vendors out there. Everybody has a bell or whistle that is better than the next guy. It is what is integrated and what is your support kind of deal that you can do for me?

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: integration and support. It has alway been well-integrated and the support is good.