CA Unified Infrastructure Management Review

What is our primary use case?

We are using it to monitor all of our infrastructure, network devices, and applications across our datacenters in Europe, Americas, Mexico, and Asia. It has performed pretty well considering there are quite a bit of devices. We have 2400 servers and quite a few network devices. It has been performing pretty well. We like it so far.

How has it helped my organization?

One benefit of it is, compared to the last tools that we had been using, we can make sites for all of our departments to look at their own things: the network team, the server team, the Linux guys, and the application guys. That is something we have not had before, and it is helping them get a view into how monitoring happens. It is bringing all the groups together a little more.

What is most valuable?

• The ease of administering
  • The probes
  • The reporting on the interface.

It has all been pretty easy.

What needs improvement?

I would like a credential management portion, since a lot of probes require different credentials. Some require the same one, but you have do it across a bunch of different servers and once you have like 2400 servers like us, you do not know where these probes are anymore and you do not know where you put in credentials. If they had some credential management interface, that would be the best.

The stability is generally pretty good. There is the occasional Q backups just because of how the hubs communicate. Like different hub versions tend to break that and some are better with it. It is hit or miss. For the most part, it is usually pretty good.

Scalability is very good. You can scale it pretty much however way you want to as long as you have the servers to throw at it.

They are helpful once you get to the senior engineers, usually. The first level has not been the most helpful, but maybe a lot of our issues just require higher engineers. I am not sure.

We were using about four or five different solutions and everybody had to have all these different tools up at the same time. We were looking for one where we could just have one solution.

Since we did not have any exposure to it previously, it was kind of complex. However, looking back at it now, it was pretty straightforward.

We looked SolarWinds (they have an infrastructure monitoring solution), Microsoft System Center Operations Manager, BMC, and quite a few more.

We eventually chose UIM, because it was easier, looked better, and you could write reports really quickly. The overall package was better than we thought.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to another company, as I am happy with it.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: reputation and 24/7 support.