CA Unified Infrastructure Management Review

Gives our service level managers the metrics they need on multiple applications

What is our primary use case?

We do E2E monitoring for service level availability of all of our applications.

For our service level managers, it's performed a lot better than they expected. It's given them a lot more information than our old tool, which went end-of-life. We brought everything over to UIM. We gave them a tool that can give them everything they wanted, that they never had before.

What is most valuable?

From what I've seen so far, and what we're using, it's

• the data it collects and
  • the reporting capabilities.

For me, it keeps the service level managers off my back.

It gives the service level managers, because they work directly with the application owners and the business owners, the ability to provide the metrics and the service level of the applications to the business owners. It's a win for both of us.

How has it helped my organization?

Because we have a lot of critical applications and we need to make sure that they're always available, I do scripting and make sure that the Synthetics stay up and are running all the time. It gives the business owners the knowledge that, "Hey, my application is up," and we don't have to wait for the customers to call in saying it's down.

What needs improvement?

Without deep diving into the infrastructure side, I really can't say because I only work with the Synthetics, end-to-end side of it. Right now there are just minor, little glitches, things that I see, but it's things I'm working with support on.

With the Synthetics it's more or less what a user sees in an application. There are some things that UIM can do and some things that UIM can't do. What it can do is great, and it's done a lot, and I've done a lot with the product that supports what we do. That's why I say it's a 10 across the board.

The little things are, for example, maybe Windows.frames can't be seen within UIM, or within the side I'm working with. They say, "Oh, we're going to get that fixed in the next feature." Great, so we're in the process of upgrading right now. We're on 8.4.7 and we're getting reading to go to 8.5.1, which is the most current release.

Stability? Works great.

So far scalability is wonderful. We're looking towards broadening the scope of UIM within our company. We're staying with the E2E right now, but I think not too far in the future we're going to broaden it and go with more in-depth features. From what I've heard here at the CA World conference, it seems I'm the only one doing E2E. So we're going to get into the infrastructure side of it, which we're not currently doing.

Technical support is great. They've been wonderful.

The communication has been great. It also helps that, being a support person in my career in the past, I know what to fill out in the ticket and to help them. So we jive on what's needed and what's not. Putting things in the ticket that help them, up front, shortens the life of the ticket.

We were using a different vendor, different product and it went end-of-life. I call it "TM-ART" some people call it TMART, it is from BMC.

We had to find another product.

It was straightforward, but we implemented about two weeks prior to CA World last year, when we got here and they asked, "How do you like it?" "Um, we just implemented, so we don't know."

But for the past year it's worked great. We're still learning because we didn't fully implement UIM. The architect came in and said, "Hey, this is how you do it, this is what you need," and we took over. So, we're learning still.

We did a lot of research but UIM had everything that we needed.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor what's most important to us is:

• Does it do what we need?
  • Does it do what we want?
  • Do we have to do a lot of out-of-the-box modifications?

I give it a 10 out of 10 because it's doing everything we expected and looked for. Like I said, we haven't gotten into infrastructure, so I can't really rate it that way yet. But what I've seen in the pre-conference classes, it's going to work just as well. So, I would probably give it a 10 across the board.

Definitely PoC UIM. It is worth it.