CA Unified Infrastructure Management Review

Improved our mean time to repair; flexibility and ease of use give us enhanced monitoring

Video Review:

How has it helped my organization?

Mean time to repair. Enhanced monitoring. We've also begun to disseminate a lot of reports, graphs, and dashboards to management and some of our other engineering teams.

What is most valuable?

I definitely appreciate the flexibility and ease of use. We've been using UIM for almost three years now. It's pretty much point and click, very easy to use. And we've had no problems scaling it to our own environment.

What needs improvement?

The biggest feature that I've been hoping they would enhance on is inventory management: things like adding/removing nodes.

Also, a little bit more functionality in the Admin Console.

Stability goes along with the easy management, just so long as you have a distributed system set up. I've had no problems with maintaining availability.

Our environment hasn't grown much over the last three years, but we have increased the amount of models that we're monitoring. And the one time that we did increase, it was as easy as spinning up a new server, deploying a hub, and attaching it to our current environment. So, it wasn't that bad.

A-plus. Any time we call up support, if the issue isn't resolved that day, I'm surprised. And if we ever do have anything that needs escalation, our account rep is always there to make sure that our needs are taking care of.

Extremely straightforward. As a matter of fact, the 8.51 upgrade that we just completed was probably done in around 30 minutes; from downloading the installation file, executing it, and upgrading across our entire environment. Wasn't that bad.

What other advice do I have?

Among the most important criteria when selecting a vendor, based on previous work experience, a stable environment is definitely number one. Because, an unstable environment means I wake up a lot of times at 3:00am, a lot of long weekends, a lot of hours. A stable application makes my job much easier.

I rate it a 10 out of 10, based on everything that we discussed. I really enjoy the product.