CA Vantage Storage Resource Manager Review

The alerts, trends and reporting have benefited my organization

What is our primary use case?

Not writing a solution here, the SRM product is a mainframe product that CA's client user interface software, Vantage, can then interact with. They have three flavors for a client interface, desktop (but everything you do is yours alone, nobody else gets anything you build within it), and server, which is much nicer as it allows for changes to be global in anything you build, such as customized solutions, views, etc. You can build the company's alerts, scripts, reports, etc.

The newest and really nice feature is the browser version or WebUI. I'm still putting this in place, and there is quite a bit to do. Once SRM has been updated to include all maintenance right up to Dec/18, then it's a UNIX/OMVS install with knowledge of those disciplines and Tomcat, Catalina, etc. It does not rely on SMP/E any longer (Vantage). It has a database kept within a ZFS file and uses TCP/IP to talk among the mainframe systems. Because it is a browser interface, you will want to ensure you use shttp:// for the security within the browser. You will need to deal with the license within OMVS and the certificate either there, or as we are, via your security product — RACF for us.

Furthermore, there is the ability to utilize, and you will want to, the REST API, which will allow you to update MF files within/via the WebUI. That demands Common Services be used, so keep that in mind. All in all, once you have it put in place, maintenance will be much easier I'm sure. As with all CA products now, it uses a PAX file. The interface offers so much, with it being a true 'Windows' experience!

How has it helped my organization?

By utilizing alerts, trends, reporting. Really anything you can think of, as this has all the data, so what do you wish to do with it.

What is most valuable?

Too much to get in to. It offers so much it is really something to look at and see all the ways you can utilize the information/automation.

What needs improvement?

• The install is complicated. From the PAX file, UNIX, OMVS, it is all changing. SMP/E is a side thing now.
  • Simple skills. The new world will demand you know UNIX/OMVS, and how it all works on your mainframe.

More than five years.

Very stable once you get everything up to date.

CA is committed to making this fit for a long time coming.

CA's support has been perfect. They help with anything you wish and right away.

Complex! Unless you know the process using PAX and know a lot about UNIX and OMVS.

No. Just myself, and support helped when I reached out.

Not involved in this, but the return is major if you put in the work to utilize its abilities.

Talk to your vendor rep.

No. I've been around Vantage since it began.

What other advice do I have?

Read up on it all. It involves a lot of things!