CA View Review

Standardized our CIS log processing; we know where to find the CIS log for any LPAR

What is our primary use case?

We do outsourcing work, and we use it for in-house work, our own in-house systems, and also for outsourcing customers.

How has it helped my organization?

One example would be, we standardized our CIS log processing with CA View. We support a whole bunch of LPARs, about 80 or so. When we go to an LPAR, we know just where the CIS log is, it's in CA View, and we know how to get to it, we don't have to search around for it.

Also, we bring a lot of customers in, and it isn't a challenge, compared to some of the other output management packages, to get them set up on it and working on it, and do upgrades when needed.

What is most valuable?

• Easy to install and upgrade
  • Seems to have all the functionality we need
  • User friendly
  • Reliable support, support is good on it
  • Easy maintenance

What needs improvement?

There was one customer we were trying convert over, and it was complicated. There were retention criteria which seemed a little more limited than with some of the other products.

More than five years.

We very seldom encounter stability issues for this product. I'd give it a nine or 10 out of 10 on that.

It's good on scalability. I like the idea that we can just add new extents on the fly if we have to.

Tech support is very good. We've had good support on all our different products. With different customers we have different output management products. I think the technical support is usually good for all of them but CA View and Deliver is as good as any of them. I give them a 10 out of 10.

We've used JHS, RDMS, which is phasing out. We've used JSF. We've just been trying as much as we can to standardize with CA View and Deliver.

In terms of switching, it's because we've converted a few customers from other output management products to CA View. It was easier to support them via maintenance and upgrades; it really had all the functionality we need, it seems.

Straightforward. Some of the other products, we've got a lot of user access we've got to support, user mods and the like. We don't have to do that much of that type of thing with CA View and Deliver.

I think the product's pricing is a good value. We've had a good price and relationship with CA, it fits in with that. I'm probably not the person to really know that much about it.

JHS, ViewDirect, RDMS, JSF.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest you strongly consider CA View and Deliver. Take a big look at it. It's straightforward.

I'd give it a 10 out of 10 overall, because I've worked with a lot of output managers and this one, in my opinion, has the best all-round characteristics.