CA Workload Automation Review

We use it as a Tier 1 application supporting other Tier 1 applications

What is our primary use case?

Primary use is job scheduling. It performs admirably. It really does what it is supposed to do. I have been doing this for 19 years with AutoSys.

How has it helped my organization?

We have ended up using it as a Tier 1 application supporting other Tier 1 applications. We schedule all jobs, everything from payroll to how to move oil around the country.

What is most valuable?

• Reliability
  • Stability
  • Expandability: It scales well.

What needs improvement?

A lot of what we want is going to be based on our particular solution, not for something everybody else could use at the same time. Different companies use AutoSys differently. They have different standards and different methodologies. A solution that we want in place would not apply to other companies.

From what we heard, the features we want are being included with the next couple of releases. One is to be able to work and create automatic ticketing solutions that are not necessarily CA products. It is just the automation around getting jobs to work correctly. If something fails, what do we do then.

I would like to be able to see the product grow into something that is going to be more reliable and better. The new purchase of Automic should help.

It is very reliable. There is always been a bump here there, but it really does well for us.

It scales very well. We can add jobs and remove jobs. We do not have problems maintaining the product across multiple environments and multiple servers.

The initial contact is not very reliable. We have to escalate through channels to get to somebody who knows what's going on. It takes time that we do not necessarily have. It is because its that the support tech is not dedicated to the product and they do not know how to fix our exact issue.

We have waited years for a problem to be resolved. The tickets get closed with no resolution, and there should be a resolution but we can't get a reliable answer. We run out of patience and just close the tickets.

We take advantage of the CA Community, however it is hit and miss. There are a lot of good questions and answers, but also a lot of simple ones, where people just look at them and go, "Just read the manual. It's in there."

It was both straightforward and complex. The information gathering to get the product installed takes time and effort. Once we had everything gathered, the installs went very smoothly and quickly.

The complexity of the product has to do with the information gathering:

• What it has to do?
  • Where it has to do it?
  • How it has to interface?
  • What databases are we connecting to and to what IDs?
  • What servers are we logging into?
  • What IDs do we have to use?
  • How are the parts connecting?
  • Are there ports that need to be opened?
  • Are there firewalls that need to be adjusted?
  • Are there various things that we have to account for that we were not initially thinking about?

The documentation covers these, but it is just a matter of gathering all of them. The information gathering can take a week. The product install takes minutes.

The actual decision to install AutoSys was out of my hands, but it was recommended. It is one of the better products on the market.

What other advice do I have?

Use this product. I have used the competitors' products. I have used AutoSys. If there is a comparison, I will give them my views as to what I think of all the products. My view right now, use AutoSys.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• Service
  • Reliability
  • Support
  • If we are able to actually contact our sales reps and get solutions and answers from them.
  • If we are able to open tickets and get answers to some of the easier questions.
  • Are they willing to come in and sit with us, and make sure we are getting things done correctly the first time.