Carbon Black CB Defense Review

Very customizable with good documentation and an easy initial setup

What is our primary use case?

Basically we use the solution for protecting and detecting misuse of end-users while using their end-points to access the internet, especially for browsing websites, or suspicious activity as far as misusing their web browser. It protects them from web-based attacks such as DDos (Denial of Service) or ransomware.

What is most valuable?

What I find most interesting is the performance of the end-point client, as well as the capability of detecting any activity on the end-user while using their browsers to navigate the internet.

To monitor that activity from a security standpoint, detecting cross-site scripting or SQL injection activities that might be coming out from the browser. That's a very needed feature that allows it to distribute the security across the company and not centralizing it only on the firewalls or in the intrusion detection systems.

The solution is quite customizable.

It's easy to set up the solution.

There's lots of very useful documentation online to help troubleshoot and learn about the product.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of any feature that needs to be enhanced or reviewed at this time.

Some of the features that I see as an end-user, unfortunately, I haven't been able to see from a project management standpoint. I'm not sure if we're actually taking advantage of all the available features. I don't know if it's because we haven't configured it yet, or we are not using it.

I'm not sure as to the logic of how we've decided to customize it. We've only really used it since February and therefore there may be more to do on that front. That's why it's hard to say if something is missing or if we just aren't utilizing it.

I've been using the solution for about a year and a half.

It's pretty stable. We haven't heard of any issues and we don't know yet about usage and security issues outside of the performance or any stabilities in the product itself. So far I would say that I consider it stable - very stable in fact.

Given the number of people that are using it, I would consider it as scalable without having specific details on the performance, on the central management, or the management points. I would say that, due to the behavior of the solution with the end-users, it's a good solution. It is scalable.

I haven't used technical support myself just yet. I've only really gone as far as looking at their documentation on their website, including the blog, user support page, and other related documentation. I would say that is good. It's enough.

There is more than enough information for tech-savvy people, and knowledgeable people that are looking for specific things. There are details telling them how to fix certain issues related to the product, or how to manage some of the product software. I would say that the documentation and the support are okay. It's what I would use personally. I prefer either looking at the documentation myself and then calling the call center after that if it's still necessary.

We found the initial setup to be relatively straightforward. It's easy. It's not complex at all.

The time it takes to deploy depends upon the number of end-points that you are deploying. That said, as far as I know, it took us probably six to nine months. This is due to the fact that there were some other technical issues not related to the service. That was my understanding at the time.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users. We don't implement this solution for clients or anything like that.

I'm not sure which version of the solution I'm using. It might be the latest, however, I can't say for sure. We use it at a bank for our endpoints. Therefore, it's likely the latest.

There are between 20,000-30,000 people using the solution within our organization. It's definitely 20,000 at least.

I would advise others to basically set the expectations as far as the features they expect or need from a security solution. This solution can't solve problems related to security practices within the company. Internal policies must be in place. Then, figure out how to integrate this solution and its available features into your internal security protocols.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been pretty happy with the product so far.

More Carbon Black CB Defense reviews from users
...who work at a Healthcare Company
...who compared it with CrowdStrike Falcon
Learn what your peers think about Carbon Black CB Defense. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.