Carbon Black CB Defense Review

Allows us to lock the environment pretty tightly and protects our organization

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed us to protect our organization from viruses. We've seen many cases when people try to install innocent application, such as a web browser or something like that, and then there are attachments that are not so innocent. Carbon Black tells about such things.

What is most valuable?

I like its protection very much. It protects and allows us to lock the environment pretty tightly. Nothing that is not approved through Carbon Black can run in the environment. There is no default. Everything goes through Carbon Black Protect, and everything has to be first approved. Every software is considered to be guilty before prove innocent.

What needs improvement?

It could be a bit complicated. You have to be very familiar with Carbon Black to understand what it is doing and why it is doing. I would like to have more explanations and simplification in the user interface. It would be good to get help and see more explanations. It should tell us that a software is blocked and the reason for it. It would be good to be able to build chains in terms of what caused what, what worked, and what caused an issue.

We are now moving from Carbon Black to Cortex XDR. While choosing antivirus software, we were also looking at Carbon Black because it also has an antivirus package, and it is next-generation, but we were told that Carbon Black doesn't support firewalls. We have Palo Alto firewalls. We would have chosen this solution if it supported firewalls, in particular next-generation firewalls, but unfortunately, it doesn't. Therefore, we decided on Cortex XDR because it integrates with Palo Alto firewalls.

I have been using this solution for one and a half years. In our company, it has been used for around five years.

It works. I was actually very surprised about its stability. It is in a virtual environment. It works in a VMware environment for us. Sometimes, latency discrepancies are very high, but it is pretty stable.

It is scalable. We have about 400 machines here, and everyone is using it. It protects 400 nodes. We have one server that serves all nodes. The number of machines is growing slowly. We had 350 machines earlier, and in one year, the number is 400.

I never had a need to use the tech support. My boss, who actually implemented this product, used their technical support, and he was okay with it.

We have Symantec Endpoint Protection, and it has some functions similar to Carbon Black, but not all. Carbon Black is definitely better because Symantec Endpoint provides some protection as a part of their antivirus solution, but it is not as powerful as Carbon Black.

When I joined this company, Carbon Black was already very well established. All rules and all groups were in place. The person who worked before me did a great job.

What other advice do I have?

It does everything that we need. We can configure it very strongly and lock the environment, which sometimes can create an administrative headache for us and some hassle for users because the users cannot install some of the software and have to ask us to enable the software, but it is exactly what we wanted.

I'm pretty happy with this solution, but unfortunately, at this point, we will have to stop using this solution, but this is not what we want. We are going to use Cortex XDR, but we are not sure if it is possible to work back to back with Carbon Black. Cortex initially told us that Carbon Black and Cortex XDR are not compatible, but it was just word of mouth. At the same time, Carbon Black is not on their incompatible products list. It would be good if these two are compatible because I can imagine the amount of time it would take to translate all the rules from Carbon Black to Cortex and handle all errors and other things.

I would rate Carbon Black CB Defense a nine out of ten.

More Carbon Black CB Defense reviews from users
...who work at a Healthcare Company
...who compared it with CrowdStrike Falcon
Learn what your peers think about Carbon Black CB Defense. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.